Sturmtigers (like PE-2s: BOOOOOOOOM!!!)

Considering that it was a rocket propelled mortar I would think that the odds of a Sturmtiger hitting a moving target would be pretty low.

However, if that monster projectile did hit the blast alone should cause some serioius damage, destroyed optics, damaged running gear, basically anything outside the main armored shell would likely be trashed. Don't really know if it would get any penetration but with an explosive charge that big I wouldn't surprise me.

[understatement]They are very effective in the AT role[/understatement]

Just for kicks, I did a 2-player QB with one Sturmtiger vs a T-44 and IS-3 (jeez, the armor on that thing...). First shot missed the T-44 but shocked it. Then it hit the T-44, no penetration, but still killed it. I forgot what the crew casualties were. It missed the IS-3, but still killed it. I have heard that one shot from one of these monsters knocked out 3+Shermans (real-life).

IIUC, they were only used on the German's western front, and briefly in Poland.

cheers!

-gabe-

[ November 19, 2002, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Halberdier ]

Since the gun fires its rounds at such a very low velocity, extended ranges may be problematic if you are in some weird need to engage armor with this endangered, but very dangerous kitty. Not to mention the really, really, really, did I say really? really long reload time.

Whatever can be fielded by the Russians in CMBB the ST can kill without even a penetration. I've knocked out their heaviest in various games/test drives with "No penetration" kills. No crew bailing out either. Shots from a ST landing nearby I noticed run a fair chance of immobilizing or inducing shock to the crew. Bad news if long 75s or 88s are anywhere covering the ST.

One note when using the ST: Make sure your infantry are well behind the flanks and most of all the front of the ST. I've had a regular rifle platoon freak out and make for the rear from the first shot. Of course, it pales in comparison to the poor guys on the receiving end.

With the cost of the ST with rarity rules on, you have to give an arm, leg, kneecap, and your ass for one ST, much less a 3 tank platoon. Brummbars are much more cheap but still pack a killer infantry capability as well as good, sloped, frontal armor. Not to mention 30+ rounds of 150mm HE.

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

Id say it would literally flip tanks upside down. Its practically a bomb. Btw, are there any scenarios out there with the usage of the sturmtiger? Any that came with the game?

Try Boots and Tracks Scenario 'Clash of the titans'. A non-historical slug feast between both sides uber tanks. Nice. smile.gif

Just as a test, I took a Sturmtiger in a hull-down position ranged at about 1100 meters and put it opposite a couple JS-2's. Both JS-2's, typically, missed with 3 shots at that range. The 1st shot was aimed at the lead tank. It missed and sailed behind and impacted about 50 meters off target but between the tanks. The lead tank got shocked and lost the tank commander. The rear tank was immobilized and bailed the next turn. The second shot my S-Tiger did get out of the barrel hit the the lead tank with an "upper-hull hit, no serious damage." However, the explosion killed the rest of the crew inside the tank.