How do you play CMBO?

Originally posted by Xinebbsa:

How does everyone else play the game?

Ask ten CM players and you'll get at least eleven answers. tongue.gif Ten answers per player would be more likely. ;)

But seriously, as in real life combat, there are no absolute rules. Everything is conditioned by so many variables (terrain, strengths and weaknesses of your units and the enemies, amount of time available, weather, time of day, etc. etc. etc.) that it is impossible to formulate a succinct and unambiguous answer to this question.

However, there are guidelines and rules-of-thumb you can learn, either through your own experience with the game, or by reading about other peoples' experiences here on the forum and the many CM fan sites. Note that there are most certainly differences in style, and some players go as far as adopting or formulating sophisticated doctrine (here's a good example of that).

Since CM comes so close to working like a real life battle, field manuals written up by armies and books on tactics are actually very helpful as well.

But basically, the only way to get really good at CM is to play a lot of games, especially games against human opponents who can be much more devious, methodical, or unpredictable than the AI.

[ September 08, 2002, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Shosties4th ]

Badly. ;)

More seriously, I spend a fair bit of time in views 3-4 (well, 3-5 in CMBB demo). As for style, I try to avoid using tactics that only make sense in the game instead of real life, like creating a mysteriously well-behaved solid wall of flame around a victory objective (which won't be quite as helpful in CMBB since it can spread...), or sending POWs or ammo-less units ahead to detect minefields (that being a war crime).

I play Franko's rules as much as anyone and maybe more than most. I thought it was interesting that you thought the game is more coherent. Many others who try playing at Level 1 say it is more confusing, with a tendency for units to get lost.

One of the reasons I like Level 1 is that it emphasizes terrain.

Grunt level .... Toad