Newbies Post Your Tourney AARs Here!!

Originally posted by White4:

... Knashing my teeth, the pumas slide back behind the hill as I curse Lady Luck! ... AND NOW FOR A CUNNING PLAN. Since I am the epitome of bold, rash, and foolish manuvering, I quickly charge 4 pumas around on the far right, to capitalize on no greyhounds left. Infantry? BAH!! We spit on infantry, especially French!! ... The french win.

I nominate White4's AAR as one of the funniest yet! I don't often guffaw, but my oh my...I hope you stay in the tournament for a few more AARs, White4, not more than four, though, because we're scheduled to meet in the next round if we win our current heats!

Chris Walker

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of funny AARs, I have been reading the reports for another tournament and one had me rolling. The player who wrote it was playing the Allied side and said something to the effect of, "I noticed a pair of Jeeps up ahead and decided to approach them catiously...until I realized they were mine!" :eek: :D

[ January 31, 2002, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: SuperTed ]

Okay, just a word of warning....I felt like doing something a little different just for kicks....this IS pretty long....remember, you were warned.... ;)

To: Oberführer ÜberTed

Re: Rear-guard action to allow troop withdrawal from Caen

Date: July 10th, 1944; near Caen

Assigned Objective: Keep Eiffel Drive open for withdrawal of the Division across the Orne River

My available forces basically amounted to the remnants of Hsf Hustedt’s and Hsf Meyer’s Pioneer Companies. Most my light artillery support was lost in transit during an aerial raid prior to the engagement, although Osf Hartmann was made available to spot for one of our 105mm Batteries in support.

Eiffel Drive cuts an approximately 60 m wide path through the urban terrain and our assigned frontage was approximately 320 m. The city itself was ablaze as a result of the British bombardment, which left practically every 3rd or 4th structure burning or smoldering.

Initially, Osf Günther and Osf Walke were to secure the right flank with their platoons, Osf Weisenberg and Osf Wittenburg were sent to secure the left flank with their depleted platoons and Osf Kaufmann was to occupy a key defensive structure near the centre of the line with his platoon. Hsf Meyer was to take 3 of the 4 available HMG teams to our left and set up several support positions, while Hsf Hustedt was to place the remaining HMG team in a support position on the right and then direct Osf Hartmann’s artillery support as necessary.

In hindsight, I think my biggest failing was in instructing the men to take up their positions as discreetly as possible, as the British appeared and tried to be force a crossing of Eiffel Drive before my forces had deployed properly. This became cause for much initial concern (and I think added a few grey hairs to some of my staff officers). As it developed, Osf Kaufmann’s platoon was overly cautious in making their way forward to their assigned positions and consequently, did not even spot the British platoon sprinting across the road. Osf Günther, to his credit, did observe this development from his position on the right and opened fire in an attempt to suppress the enemy troops. Upon learning of the British assault, Hsf Meyer should have tried to re-deploy and regroup the troops in his sector for a carefully planned and coordinated assault but communications were not clear. An entire British platoon was able to take up positions on the east side of Eiffel Drive and most of Osf Kaufmann’s platoon blundered into them. Within minutes, Osf Kaufmann had lost 27 of the 31 men in his command. To add to the problems, Osf Weisberg sent a squad to try and stabilize Osf Kaufmann’s situation but less than half of Unt Teske’s squad made it to a support position and they were immediately suppressed.

Meanwhile, British troops began appearing on the west side of Eiffel Drive and laying down suppressive fire; additional enemy troops were spotted making their way up from the rear as well. Hsf Hustedt tried to have some support fire brought down but was informed that there would be a 3 minute delay.

A second British platoon attempted a crossing on our extreme right while most attention was directed at the first enemy incursion but this was spotted by Osf Walke’s men. Rot Hamblen was ready when the British attempted their flanking manoeuvre and chased a crack British squad off with a few doses of flame. The British regrouped and infiltrated along our right flank but were spotted securing an abandoned church close to Rot Frick's HMG position. Rot Hamblen made the decision to try and stop the British and quietly moved into position near the church. Once in range, Rot Hamblen turned the church into a flaming hell for the British, forcing them out into the open and the waiting sights of Rot Frick and Rot Weber. Rot Hamblen died during his heroic assault and deserves special mention.

Osf Günther became had become aware of the seriousness of the situation across the courtyard, where Osf Kaufmann’s platoon was annihilated, and gave orders to Unt Robbe and Unt Seibel to charge the British position and restore the situation. This they did, charging across the open courtyard, amidst enemy automatic and artillery fire (the silly British gunners shelled their own position). One British squad broke immediately and was decimated trying to retreat, then the other squad broke and ran after it’s platoon leader was cut down. Unt Robbe and Unt Seibel then wisely withdrew their squads from the building, which was subsequently destroyed by the British guns. At about this time, British machine guns began appearing in the buildings opposite the centre of our line. Osf Günther recalled his squads to the right because of the British infiltration on the right flank, necessitating another open courtyard dash under enemy fire.

The British platoon operating on our right flank charged Rot Frick’s position, sustaining significant casualties, but overwhelmed our gun and knocked it out. Osf Günther’s men again tried to restore the situation and poured fire into the British position but to no avail. Throughout this period, Osf Günther’s platoon was subjected to heavy British artillery fire. Rot Weber’s gun went down at about this time with a jam and we lost Rot Bögenschutz to a nearby artillery blast; his team retreated back towards Hsf Meyer’s support position. By now, our own artillery had begun raining down on the British machine gun positions.

The British commander must have thought that he had broken our defences on the left because another British platoon began sprinting across Eiffel Drive from the right towards our left. As it turned out, a lucky shell from one of our 105mm guns fell in the midst of one of the attacking squads, which immediately turned and ran for the rear. The remnants of the platoon that did make it to our positions were almost immediately annihilated at no loss. Curiously, Osf Walke’s platoon also spotted two enemy flamethrowers attempt to cross the road on our right but both were immediately cut to pieces.

The British platoon that had infiltrated behind our positions was now spotted running south through a clearing near Hsf Hustedt’s position and then proceeded to move towards our left flank along a road, all of which was right under the nose of Osf Hartmann, who was so close to the British that he had to turn off his radio for fear of being discovered. Osf Hartmann was able to contact Hsf Meyer with advance warning of the developing situation to his rear and Hsf Meyer subsequently disengaged Osf Wittenburg’s platoon from our left flank and Rot Taus in order to lay his own surprise for the sneaky British. By now the enemy had zeroed in on Hsf Meyer’s support position, in an apparent attempt to silence Rot Grotz’s HMG. One lucky shell caused some chaos and caused the remnants of Rot Bögenschutz’s HMG team to run for our rear lines; they were utterly routed by the appearance of the British troops.

The British plan was obviously disrupted by the appearance of Osf Wittenburg’s platoon and fierce fighting developed across the narrow street. The deciding moment came when Rot Grotz flamed a large wooden building containing half of the British platoon. The Tommies panicked and fled the building, heading into a deadly crossfire, which finished them to a man. The remaining British troops withdrew and were spotted scrambling into the buildings south of Osf Hartmann’s position.

Hsf Hustedt now made the decision to send Osf Günther’s courageous platoon forward in an attempt to break the British position across Eiffel Drive. This bold move was predicated on the awareness that our ammunition was rapidly disappearing and a dashing charge into the British flank might relieve our beleaguered forces and seize the initiative in one fell swoop. Osf Güenther’s platoon merged into Osf Walke’s position, scraped together our last major reserve of ammo, and then the platoon charged across the boulevard. Of the 23 men who had dashed across our right flank, only 12 arrived on the other side (but to their eternal glory, not one unit faltered in their duty). According to the survivors, the platoon created chaos throughout the British flank for several minutes, forcing a redeployment of the enemy’s resources (an entire fresh platoon was rushed in) to face our new threat to his position. But as the counterattack pressed and ammo ran short, they were forced into a fighting withdrawal; Osf Günther was last seen holding the front line when an explosive charge obliterated the room he was in. Miraculously, Unt Siebel was able to extricate himself, along with 2 men, to a position to the north and then began working his way around the British flank.

At about this time, Osf Hartmann was informed by our "supporting" 105mm Battery that they had fired their entire daily allotment of shells, meaning that they could provide no further artillery support without authorization from higher command. While in the process of "diplomatically" explaining our dire need of further support, Osf Hartmann was overheard and spotted by the remnants of the British platoon that was still operating behind our lines. Osf Hartmann was forced to abandon his spotting position and he slipped away to the south before incurring any casualties. Indeed, Hsf Hustedt was instrumental in assisting Osf Hartmann’s escape when he and his men began pouring suppressive fire down on the British (although this also compromised his hidden position, which subsequently required a tactical repositioning of his HQ).

Now, one thing I will say about the British...they are a stubborn breed. They seem to have been determined to break Osf Weisberg’s position regardless of the cost to themselves. A British flamethrower team was spotted trying to make their way into firing range but was cut down 2/3 of the way across Eiffel Drive. Under extremely heavy suppressive fire into our position, a second flamethrower team got within range and was finally successful in breaking our defensive stronghold on the left flank. As our units desperately searched for escape from the sudden inferno, a single British squad charged across the roadway at a gallop. Osf Kaufmann and his aide were luckily able to halt this final charge with some well-placed rifle shots into the advancing squad. This was not much consolation to Osf Weisberg’s platoon, which had escaped death-by-fire only to be cut down by British bullets. The few remaining men in the platoon hid in some rubble until the shooting stopped. Fortunately, Osf Wittenburg raced half of his platoon into the gap. Once again, the British gained a toehold on our position, and once again they were met with fierce resistance by our men; Osf Wittenburg’s squad surprised the Tommies and their flamer was eliminated. The British squad tried to retreat back to their lines but were forced to hide in the middle of Eiffel Drive. Unfortunately for them, Rot Bahr was close at hand and he succeeded in driving the British back with a well-placed dose of liquid flame.

An apparent suicide charge was also launched by the British Tommies against Osf Walke’s anchoring position on our right flank. We can only assume that the British commander was under the false impression that our forces in this sector were critically reduced after the sacrifice of Osf Günther’s platoon. Imagine their surprise when they arrived to find Osf Walke’s practically intact platoon waiting for them. Only 9 Tommies were able fight their way into our position, none ever left. Despite a universal ammunition shortage, fierce fighting raged throughout the structure until we had eliminated the attackers. As a side note, Rot Heise appears to have lost his nerve during this final assault and he was shot in the back by Unt German while he was attempting to flee. One more British flamethrower was cut to pieces as he stepped off the curb in our direction.

One final time the British deep patrol surfaced behind Hsf Meyer’s position but this was quickly suppressed and driven away, as they were hardly more than a minor irritant by this point.

In the dying moments of the engagement, Unt Siebel, who had by now positioned himself behind the British position on our right flank, launched a surprise attack into the British rear, totally disrupting their remaining defence.

Intelligence estimates the British losses to be around 150 men. Our losses were 38 KIA and another 80 men with various wounds (most are light and they can hopefully be returned to duty soon).

Also, I would like to recommend the following men for recognition for their bravery and devotion to the Fatherland:

Osf Günther (posthumous)

Osf Wittenburg

Unt Carl

Unt Robbe (posthumous)

Unt Siebel (recommend immediate promotion)

Rot Hamblen (posthumous)

Rot Taus

In conclusion, I believe that this engagement proves that the fighting spirit of our men is still very much intact and if we are provided the necessary weapons and ammunition then we can still field a considerable fighting force.

Sturmbannführer Canuck

Deutschland Ãœber Alles

[ February 01, 2002, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Darknight_Canuck ]

Originally posted by Leta:

I disagree, my friend! That's the only one time I played with Allies in all our games! ;)

Hmmmm....Leta is right. He did play Allies in that game. My blood sugar was low when I wrote the AAR. I like the Allies so much that I thought my Puma's were Greyhounds. (Truth be told, that game is the only one in which I have played as Axis) Thanks for setting the record straight and being a gentleman about it Leta! Just wait till you get back from the mountains this weekend...my men are hosting a barbeque in your village. tongue.gif

AAR - Medium Rare

Axis: 58 cas. (16 KIA); 2 captured; men OK: 127; score: 41

Allied: 94 cas. (23 KIA); men OK: 100; score: 30

Axis minor victory

I knew lateral movement in the open would be trouble once both sides came within range of each other. My plan was to move unseen to the VLs on my side of the street and set up strongpoints on either flank. Once I was in position, I would use flamethrower teams to torch the median areas directly in front of the VLs, preventing any direct enemy attacks, with the added bonus of the smoke obscuring the enemy’s LOS. Using flame, I wanted to create three gaps: defending the left in force; hiding a platoon on the right for my own late turn flag rush; and lure enemy forces into the open center where MG teams with LOS could chop them up. Late in the game, I hoped, I could either drop arty down the middle to destroy an enemy attack, or drop smoke, both to suppress enemy fire, and make him think that was the gap I was rushing through while rushing his VL from the far right.

That’s not what happened.

I left a couple of squads behind with good LOS as OPs. My 105mm arty spotter also had good LOS right through the center of the map.

After about five turns of no contact and sneaking into position, I was surprised by an attack of British engineer platoon ( 2 squads + flamethrower) through a smoke barrage on my left VL. I suffered some light casualties but more or less wiped them out. I was happy to have come out ahead but worried both by the aggressiveness of my opponent and the idea an attack of my own could fail like that. I was soon unpleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of the Vickers MG at long range. I dropped my own smoke to suppress the MG fire and provide cover for flamethrower teams to get in place. This worked and I got busy creating permanent smoke and cover by torching the median tiles on both left and right flanks, covering the VLs. At one point, my opponent( I think, amused at what as he saw as wanton destruction) helped by torching a tile or two of his own.

During the next five turns, the VL on the left came under heavy arty fire. My units were alerted but not actually taking casualties yet. A British engineer platoon tried rushing my extreme right where my planned late turn assault force was hiding. I chopped them to pieces and started to feel pretty good about my chances for winning. I could just sit back and wait for another desperate attack my opponent would have to make in order to win.

But I didn’t wait.

Seeing a cluster of enemy unit icons in the center, I believed the enemy was going to make an all-out rush up the center. I ordered up a 105mm barrage down the center gap, agonizing over the three-minute delay. I wasn’t receiving any fire from the enemy VL on the left and saw little movement and maybe two enemy unit icons. So I told myself it’s weak on that side, I’ll surprise him with an audacious platoon-size attack, seize his VL even as he prepares to rush my center. The only thing that surprised him was the stupidity of the attack. He chopped my guys up although they actually did reach the two nearest buildings on his side...even as another platoon of his was swinging over that way at the same time. Sooo- I made a ruthless decision: the surviving attackers wouldn’t survive retreating back across the street, why not leave them in place to kill as many enemy as they could while I sealed the median behind them with flamethrowers? So I did. It didn’t work out exactly as I planned: two survivors surrendered; but I did delay the enemy long enough to bar my left flank (with the exception of the furthest tile) with flame and smoke.

In the center I lost a MG42 team to the concentrated fire of multiple Vickers MG teams and British engineer platoons. I pulled back a squad and Coy HQ unit and torched the building after I left. I was trying to deny the enemy any cover if they rushed the center gap. I wanted to torch another nearby small wooden building but for whatever reason my flamethrower team failed to fire on it (turn after turn...).

My arty fell and hit nothing but cobblestones as far as I could tell. I don’t know whether it discouraged a rush up the center gap or not.

The last three turns I sat back and waited for an enemy rush that never came. My opponent did move some men out on the other side of the flaming median near my VLs but nothing decisive occurred.

Hope this wasn’t too anti-climactic. I told my opponent: I learned that the Vickers MG is an extremely nasty weapon to be on the receiving end of; I think we both learned our mothers were right: never play in the street.

[ February 02, 2002, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Armdchair ]

Originally posted by SuperTed:

Here is my AAR for the scenario I played against Hobo. The name of the scenario was "Le Camp Crossroad."

Okay, first I set up my troops. Then, I told them to wait and shoot stuff. Then, Hobo surrender.

Man, these are tough! ;)

Play me! I already wrote the AAR of our battle. Here:

Here is my AAR for the scenario I played against SuperTed. The name of the scenario was "The Fusillade of Doom."

Okay, first I set up my troops. Then, I told them to charge and shoot stuff. Then, SuperTed surrender.

Man, I'm sweating!

No but really, wanna play me SuperTed? I'd wub to get spanked even more then I usually am. Cheers.

Mid game sitrep for Blood and Steel -

spoiler alert!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I think I have defeated the wave of Stuarts and the remains of Leta's recon screen of jeep MGs and armored cars. Early on I was reminded just how deadly the Stuarts are to MkIVs, and lost several MkIVs in close range shootouts (stuarts reloading and firing twice as fast as my MkIVs) as we both tried to sneak through the wadis. His was a coordinated attack on both flanks that cost me 3 MkIVs to 1 stuart! After that, I stuck to overwatching from way far away with hulldown MkIVs while I tried wide flanking movements to the left and to the right. Leta tried a flank attack inside my right flank with 6 stuarts and 1 AC, and I have just managed to destroy (I think!) the last vehicle in that attack by fire from 3 sides, but have had to expose my flanking attacks. He has just shown up a dense mass of shermies and TDs on my far right flank (in actuality his board edge, what, like 4 km from mine!). It is still VERY much anyone's game, as we both vie for position and concentration of fire.

---------------------------------------

This scenario really brings out the best and worst of individual tank types! Absolutely fabulous! We even had a bit of an infantry assault when one of my crews running for cover encountered one of Leta crews occupying the cover!

Originally posted by Ligur:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SuperTed:

Here is my AAR for the scenario I played against Hobo. The name of the scenario was "Le Camp Crossroad."

Okay, first I set up my troops. Then, I told them to wait and shoot stuff. Then, Hobo surrender.

Man, these are tough! ;)

Play me! I already wrote the AAR of our battle. Here:

Here is my AAR for the scenario I played against SuperTed. The name of the scenario was "The Fusillade of Doom."

Okay, first I set up my troops. Then, I told them to charge and shoot stuff. Then, SuperTed surrender.

Man, I'm sweating!

No but really, wanna play me SuperTed? I'd wub to get spanked even more then I usually am. Cheers.</font>

Originally posted by White4:

Mid game sitrep for Blood and Steel -

spoiler alert!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I think I have defeated the wave of Stuarts and the remains of Leta's recon screen of jeep MGs and armored cars. Early on I was reminded just how deadly the Stuarts are to MkIVs, and lost several MkIVs in close range shootouts (stuarts reloading and firing twice as fast as my MkIVs) as we both tried to sneak through the wadis. His was a coordinated attack on both flanks that cost me 3 MkIVs to 1 stuart! After that, I stuck to overwatching from way far away with hulldown MkIVs while I tried wide flanking movements to the left and to the right. Leta tried a flank attack inside my right flank with 6 stuarts and 1 AC, and I have just managed to destroy (I think!) the last vehicle in that attack by fire from 3 sides, but have had to expose my flanking attacks. He has just shown up a dense mass of shermies and TDs on my far right flank (in actuality his board edge, what, like 4 km from mine!). It is still VERY much anyone's game, as we both vie for position and concentration of fire.

---------------------------------------

This scenario really brings out the best and worst of individual tank types! Absolutely fabulous! We even had a bit of an infantry assault when one of my crews running for cover encountered one of Leta crews occupying the cover!

W4,

It sounds like you guys are having a blast. I may have to play that one. Speaking of which, I suspect the scenario has good replay value. What do you think?

Originally posted by SuperTed:

It sounds like you guys are having a blast. I may have to play that one. Speaking of which, I suspect the scenario has good replay value. What do you think?[/QB]

Of course it has a good replay value!

I'm sure if I replayed it I'll follow a completely different strategie. At this moment I'm in a very bad situation, surrounded by 3 sides with my Shermans being smashed by a TC who I suspect is Michael Wittmann himself (2 Sherms by 2 shots in 15 seconds at 700+ ...)

White4 is crushing my forces. When will I receive the Pershings? :D