Lock-up problem

I have a new 256k 1.6gig AMD with GeForce3 card and W2000pro operating system. I've downloaded the v27.10 drivers and that fixed vidio problem , but machine still locks-up during orders phase, Ctl+Alt+Del doesn't reboot , I have to turn off power to reboot. Does anyone have any sugestions on what my problem is and how to fix it. Thank you for ant help. smile.gif

How long have you had this computer ? Do you play any other games on this PC (especially DirectX-based games) and do they have the same problem ? Is your computer on for a certain amount of time before you get the lockup; in other words, how long can you play CM before it locks up ?

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't reboot the computer under Windows - it just brings up the task manager.

You may be having heat-related problems with your computer. It's possible that only CM is working your CPU and video card hard enough that your current cooling solution is not effective enough. However that is only a guess. Other settings like CMOS/BIOS setup or other programs/drivers you have installed may be causing your problems.

Sc'halt

Thanks for the reply. The computer is brand new, so far I've used it for only one other game Civil War Generals 2 which doesn't demand much.

I've been able to watch a large size pbem battle resolution (movie) all the way thru, 4to6 times.

Completed my orders once, but it locked-up soon after screen changed to PBEM save page and before

save (after rebooting I didn't find file saved under old name). Every other time it locked-up

during my orders. So I started a tiny scenario

few units very small map , locked-up during my first orders phase same as large game.

Right now CM is on last computer's hard drive , I'm going to install on new hard just to clean things up.

Once again thanks for any sugestions smile.gif

What sound card do you have ? If you disable the ambient sounds immediately do you still have a problem ? And if you disable sound completely ? Do you know if your sound and video cards are sharing an IRQ (which will be normal if they're configured via ACPI). Some drivers don't work all too well with ACPI and this may be a possible cause for your problem.

hi schrullenhaft,

i ahve CM locks up randomly after having downloaded the 27.10 driver. this update has fixed the video problems but now CM locks the PC any time during a game, randomly. this corrupts the file (unable to re-use it fater reboot), even if I have save the turn before the problem occurs.

Have reinstalled CM after I have installed the 27.10.

I have a sound blaster, run no other DirectX game.

Any clue ? Thanks in advance for your kind reply

Is the lockup problem new, in other words did this only start occuring once you installed the 27.10 drivers ? Have you changed anything else about your system other than the video drivers ? How random are these problems; will every game lockup or only some games ? Do you get very far with the games that do lockup ?

Have you installed the VIA 4-in-1 4.37 drivers ? I'm not sure how well this would work with the video drivers already installed. The AGP driver may help with this problem.

[ February 04, 2002, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

yes, almost every game would lock up, at any point during the game (preparation or execution), turn 2 or turn 10.

the problem is new, obviously linked to the 27.10.

nothing else has changed.

had installed the 4-in-1 VIA right after installing Win 2K and before the 27.10.

Even if i save 2 files of the same game and not every turn, let's say the 1st file is saved 3 turns before CM crashes and the other the next to the last turn, am unable to recover any of the files saved

If it is obviously linked to the 27.10 drivers then you obviously need to downgrade. I have no idea why the new drivers would be causing lockups with your computer. But if you weren't getting lockups with your previous version and all you did was install the newer drivers and you all of a sudden get lockups, then you'll need to downgrade.

27.30's and 26.53's are available for download at Guru3D. You may want to give these a try, but they may likely cause the same problems that the 27.10's do.

[ February 04, 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]