Looking for books on.......

Originally posted by Agentorange:

The various battles and sieges conducted by the allies against the German garrisons holed up in western France and the channel ports, after the allies had by passed them in 1944.

Any ideas ?

Perret's "A War to be Won, the U.S. Army in WWII" discusses them briefly, but doesn't have detailed OOBs or dates or anything. A good place to start for a more detailed research project, anyway.

-dale

Since it was mostly the Canadians who were tackling the Channel ports, you might look at the official histories of the units involved.

I'm not sure about the ports on the Atlantic; I think they were mostly done by the French, but maybe there were some American units involved as well. In any case, they would have been controlled either by 6th. Army Group or by ComZone.

Michael

Dunkirk 44 et al are covered in Stacey's official history - THE VICTORY CAMPAIGN by C.P. Stacey, Queen's Printer ca. 1958

I don't know of any books that study the channel ports in detail - the Americans also masked some ports off IIRC, I can only speak of the Canadian ones.

Would be fodder for a good book; too bad Whitaker is dead.

Originally posted by chris talpas:

Personal Rant:

How can the Canadian government allow the official history of the Canadian Army in WW2 to go out of print?

The only way to get a hold of this series these days is in libraries or rare book stores. My set cost me over $200.

Chris

Good question; but they are available in most public libraries - or so I would hope, anyway. Funny that the government sponsored a book of "blonde jokes" in recent memory but has never reprinted Stacey, Nicholson, et al.

Well, I found one on Amazon that looks as though it might cover this precise area - roll on payday. Just thought it would provide a source of scenarios, something a bit out of the ordinary.

Vis a vis offial histories, I know what you mean, it's very hard to find them here in the UK as well. Luckily my uni library had the full set, so whilst I should have been studying Piagets theory of child development I was actually getting to grips with all six volumes of "The war in North Africa " :D

Well, I found one on Amazon that looks as though it might cover this precise area...

Just out of curiosity, could you give the name of the book?

....whilst I should have been studying Piagets theory of child development I was actually getting to grips with all six volumes of "The war in North Africa " :D
Time well spent, I'd call it!

:D

Michael

Originally posted by chris talpas:

Personal Rant:

How can the Canadian government allow the official history of the Canadian Army in WW2 to go out of print?

The only way to get a hold of this series these days is in libraries or rare book stores. My set cost me over $200.

Chris

Feh! Ours have been out of print since the '50's as far as I can tell. A full set, second hand, will probably cost ~$1,000.

That being said, I have made a start on a collection...

Agentorange,

If you can get hold of a copy, "Pemberton, A.L. (1951), The development of artillery tactics and equipment, The War Office" has quite a lot of detail on the attack on Le Harve, including a lovely map. One of Ken Tout's books (Tank! maybe?) also covers this battle in much more, um, vivid and personal detail, though his view is perforce much narrower than Pemberton's.

Regards

JonS

[ June 18, 2002, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

@ michael emrys, doh! yeah sorry, a bit remiss of me not to post the title:

'Smashing the atlantic war ( surely they mean wall ? ): The destruction of Hitlers coastal fortresses' by Patrick Delaforce

found it on amazon.co.uk, if the synopsis is accurate it seems to fit the bill - reading the synopsis I get the feeling it may be a translation, certainly the english is a little odd in places.

JonS thanks for the suggestions , sound as though they might be worth looking at. In fact thanks to anybody who's chipped in. Much appreciated.

[ June 18, 2002, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Agentorange ]

...I get the feeling it may be a translation, certainly the english is a little odd in places.

I doubt it; Delaforce writes in English. More likely the synopsis is just the usual unproofread, uncorrected cruddy writing one encounters so often on the internet. Pity that a company that made its reputation on selling books doesn't have more professional pride than that, though.

:(

Michael