CM Map Case - as advertised.

Further to an earlier thread, the title of which I can't remember even though I named it, I am pleased to annouce that the CM Map Case is now open for your perusal.

Inside are maps for scenarios (i.e. without units or VL's) and maps of historical battlefields, for anyone who would like to wander around Quatre Bras in 3D.

Check it out at: http://homepage.eircom.net/~holdit/

I love the Borodino map! Would be excellent for CM. I also love your small Compaigne? map, great for an ambush as you said it would be. I played the AI with that and found it very intense ...... first time I've ever got an ambush to work. Thanks, Viceroy.

Originally posted by Viceroy:

I love the Borodino map! Would be excellent for CM. I also love your small Compaigne? map, great for an ambush as you said it would be. I played the AI with that and found it very intense ...... first time I've ever got an ambush to work. Thanks, Viceroy.

Brilliant! That's just the type of thing I was hoping to hear. Glad you like the Borodino map too - one reason it might seem so useful for CM is that it's the one that (so far) was scaled down the most to make it fit.

If it's ambushed you're after, you might be interested in a current work-in-progress, which is Beal na mBlath, the site of the ambush in which Michael Collins was killed - the one "battlefield" I can claim to have visited. smile.gif

Also in the pipeline: Ligny (1815) and, by request, Wingen-Sur-Moder (1945). I've just seen a couple of Battleground American Civil War titles going for a fiver a piece in my local games shop so I might give Antietam or Gettysburg a try at some point.

Originally posted by FUBAR'D:

Holdit,

By your URL I'd sat you're Irish! If so, thank God! I thought I was the only Irish fella actually playing these games. Great to hear of anyone else out there - are we alone?

Regards.

Well spotted. There are one or two others, I think, but I couldn't name names off the top of my head.

Regards,

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Gotta love the sight. And if you ever get the inkling to do any roman battles, drop me a line.

WWB

Glad you like it. I aim to eventually include maps from as wide a range of periods as possible, so if you have a particular Roman battle in mind, let me know.

Correction to what I said previously: I won't be doing Gettysburg because SinPoet has kindly given me permission to host his, upon which I don't think I could improve.

Regards

Guest wwb_99

Well, regarding roman battles we are mainly limited by the ones we can precisely locate. I am most familiar with the imperial period, but these would be:

1) Bedracium/Cremona: Very precisely located, on the eastern approaches of modern Verona.

2) The Varian Disaster: Recent archaeology has pinned down the exact location of this battle, in Germany on the lower Wesser. I will try to get the article. Would make a very interesting 'ambush' scenario.

3) Adrianople: Near modern Aridene, Turkey.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

One Word:.......Thermopylae.

Okay, its not Roman, its Greek (Spartan to be exact) but it is arguably the most important battle ever fought, and I would LOVE to see the unique landscape put into CM terms.

I am currently working on a sort of ZULU revisited sort od scenario, where Germnan SS hold out against a vastly superior allied attack. Maybe when I finish the scenario, I could send you the map? It is a medeival castle on a large open area with a train station and airfield nearby.

Guest wwb_99

Actually, while a great story, the battle of Thermopylae was not all that important. True the spartans delayed the Persian host for a spell, but then again, moving through the pass took the Persian army longer than it did to defeat the Spartans.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

Well, in pure military objectivity I would agree with you, but I would argue that the Spartans encouraged a nation by their stand, while the Persian, though ultimately victorious in Thermopylae suffered a savage defeat of morale.

One of my favorite passages in "Gates of Fire" is wen the king, Leonidas, on the last morning of the battle, confides to his soldiers why he chose them in particular.

((Paraphrased))

"I picked you for your wives."

"What??"

"When you are slain, the city will look to your wives to see how they handle themselves. If they are proud and courages, then they will encourage Sparta.

"All Greece will look to Sparta after this battle, and if we remain strong and proud, then Greece cannot be defeated."

Maybe I am a bit of a romantic, but I think that what he said is true of the Persian War.

Never after Thermopylae were the Persians again victorious on the field of battle and within a year they were soundly defeated.

I would say that Thermopylae is one of the most important battles in the history of Western Civilization, and I would further say that it was a.....VICTORY!

------------------

And King Xerxes looked to King Leonidas and spoke. "Our Archers will rain arrows down upon you to blot out the sun."

And King Leonidas replied: "Then we will fight in the shade."