Budget video card recommendation

Hello,

Just recently aquired a hand me down Pc.

CPU=AMD Athlon 500MHz

AGP BUS=version 1 ,speed 67MHz, max transfer rate2x,aperature size 128

Front side bus speed=2x100MHz (200max data rate)

system memory=128 megs

Power supply=350watts

Im not sure of the specific motherboard name/type

except the installation CD said something about

"VIA" drivers

I currently have a Jaton 8 meg PCI video card with

9880 chipset

I know I should get anothe 128 meg memory stick...

thats the easy part....But what kind of name/make/

chipset video card should I be looking for to replace the hopeless 8 meg Jaton?

I did search this forum and found a few hints but

frankly I dont know much about video cards so if

anyone has any suggestions that would probably work with my system I would be grateful....what

I should be looking for and what I should be avoiding. Im looking to spend between 40-60 bucks

for this card as that seems to be the price range

for budget cards.

I know this system isnt the worlds fastest but

with a better video card it should do ok with small to medium battles. I know Im not going to

be able to play the lastest greatest FPS or flight

sims but when you keep in mind my old PC was a 200amd with 64megs memory....what I have now

is much much better than that horror redface.gif ).

So can anyone give me pros and cons of the various budget cards?

It's hard to know exactly what you'll be able to get for that price. Prices vary widely for older technology, so you may be able to get a pretty good card for 40-60 bucks. www.pricewatch.com has a video-card pricing list. I would use that to get an idea of what you can get for your money. You might even be able to get a GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB if you spend 10-20 bucks more.

If you buy online, just be careful who you buy from, although video cards are less likely to be bad when you get them. I try to only buy from online stores that are customer rated at www.bizrate.com.

I've had good experiences with www.newegg.com, www.bzboyz.com, www.ajump.com , www.spartantech.com , www.emscomputing.com. If you need memory, I highly recommend getting it from www.crucial.com. I have yet to get bad or incompatible memory from them, which has been a problem in the past for me when buying from other stores.

Good luck,

BeWary

I have a brand new Gigabyte TNT2 32 meg AGP card on the shelve here at the shop, I know for a fact it will run both CMBB and CMBO on your machine with a VIA chipset and 500 MHZ machine, check and see if your board has a AGP slot on it, if so, you can have this card for $25+ S/H

Thanks for the replies and for your offer Tracer.

Ive done some info searching and my motherboard

is a FIC SD11. Although it has an APG slot the

manufacturer strongly urges not to use any video

card above 16Mb memory. So to upgrade the video card appreciably

I would have to go the PCI slot route.Think I will

hold off on any other upgrades until I get another

motherboard with better capabilities than this one.

I thought to say something about the age of the mainboard, if you need a mainboard and processor let me know, since your a fello CMer, I can get you a real good deal on the pair. If i remember correctly, not looking at my files I can get AMD Athlon XP 1800+ for about $80, and a mainboard to supprt it for about the same price as the CPU, CPU runs at about 1.533MHZ and has a performance rating at around 2gigs