Is there a WW2 "bible" ?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that might give good, basic comparisons of WW2 armor, personnel, and equipment. Such as, what are Heer, and how are they different from Volksgrenadier (or however that's spelled)? What's the difference between a Sherman and a Tiger, etc. What are the different types of artilery, who used them, and how? Detailed armor penetration stats and the like aren't necessary, just basic descriptions and comparisons are what I'm looking for. Pretty pictures are always nice, too smile.gif

Teggy,

A nice simple reference for basic WWII weapons, ordnance, and vehicles is;

ISBN 1-894102-22-3, Material originally published in 1984 as part of the reference set War Machine , The Complete Encyclopedia of Weapons of WWII,Chris Bishop, ed., Prospero Publishing (90 Ronson Drive Etobicoke Ontario CANAD M9W 1C1).

This book is really big, bright red and is nice and serious looking. Excellent basic reference, it does not delve too deeply into variants, gives a very readable (with great pictures) and comprehensive history of all the basic weapons, ordnance, afvs, ships, airplanes, etc. of WWII. Its 543pp 10"X12" and looks really good on the bookshelf. It was only $19.99Cdn IIRC.

If you want a little more scholarly WWII Historical reference but don't mind spending a litle more dough this is my favourite WWII reference:

ISBN 0-19-214168-6, I.C.B. Dear, ed., The Oxford Companion To The Second World War, Oxford University Press (Oxford, 1995).

In the 6 years I have owned it I have never run across a person, battle, map, or event of any importance in WWII that was not in this book. 1341pp 8"X11" If you are arguing with someone about a point of WWII fact and you cannot prove yourself right with the book itself, you could beat the offending person to death with it. :D It's like the hydrogen bomb of WWII reference material. I don't know how I lived without it. I don't remember exactly how much this bad boycost but I remember my Girlfriend was peeved about how much I spent on it, I bought it before I started University so I couldn't write it off as a textbook.

Hope this Helps

Don

[ January 31, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Don ]

These are admittedly two bibles instead of one smile.gif but for basic illustrated armor references, they're great:

Chamberlain, Peter and Chris Ellis. British and American Tanks of World War Two. Cassell & Co.

" and Hilary Doyle. Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two. Arms & Armour/Cassell & Co.

A real good source about german tanks is "Die deutsche Panzertruppe 1943-1945", Thomas L. Jentz. 1999, 280p., ISBN 3-7909-0624-7I don't know if it is available in english language, but it covers technical data, TO&E, combat reports, statistics etc.

It is the second volume, the first covers the timeframe 1939-1942...

OK, I decided the Oxford book sounded pretty close if not exactly what I wanted. Here's the weird thing. The softcover $17 version was "The Oxford Guide to World War II" and the hardcover version was "The Oxford Guide to the Second World War". I picked up a "like new" hardcover copy of off half.com where they had hardcover versions with both names. The one I bought said 1995, but I just realized has a different ISBN. The ISBN listed above shows 2000. A little confusing, I just hope I got the right book!

Thanks for the heads up on the Oxford book! This should make more fine reading after finishing up on Guderian's Panzer Leader. ;)

I can also recommend Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two. And any of the Order of Battle books by George F. Nafziger.

Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

These are admittedly two bibles instead of one smile.gif but for basic illustrated armor references, they're great:

Chamberlain, Peter and Chris Ellis. British and American Tanks of World War Two. Cassell & Co.

With caveats, I'd agree.

" and Hilary Doyle. Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two. Arms & Armour/Cassell & Co.

Haven't seen this one but I use Crow, D., German AFV's of World War II, Profile Publications, Windsor, 1973.

Admittedly I got mine in '74 and its long out of print but for basic detail and history its excellent.

If one wishes a more basic understanding of the design history for UK AFV's, you can't go past IMO, David Fletcher's books. For the US side, Hunnicutt (if you pocket can bear the cost) and for the German side, the various books in the Schiffer stable by Jentz, Doyle and Co.

[ February 03, 2002, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]

the various books in the Schiffer stable by Jentz, Doyle and Co.
Don't forget those by Spielberger, either in translation through Schiffer, or the originals from Motorbuch Verlag. Those are some extremely detailed books.

Haven't seen this one
Definitely a must for anyone seriously interested in German armor. 272pp. with extensive illustrations and a decent amount of data for each entry. Appendices on armament, ammmo, engines, etc.

If you are looking for a bible on organization, uniforms and insignia I highly recommend Andrew Mollo's THE ARMED FORCES OF WORLD WAR II. It includes lots of info about land, sea and air units, in all the theatres of the war.

I have it with the Encyclopeadia of World War II of the same editorial and they are great!

I will take a look at the oxford companion :D

Stacheldraht said: " Chamberlain, Peter and Chris Ellis. British and American Tanks of World War Two. Cassell & Co.

It never occured to me to mention these books. I build models of WWII Armour and they are indispensable. I have them both but I thought they were a little too "Armour Grog" for general reference as they only deal with Afvs and not small arms or ordinance.

The Oxford Companion is set up as an encyclopedia by the way and has very little for photographs, lots of good maps though.

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by Teggy:

OK, I decided the Oxford book sounded pretty close if not exactly what I wanted. Here's the weird thing. The softcover $17 version was "The Oxford Guide to World War II" and the hardcover version was "The Oxford Guide to the Second World War". I picked up a "like new" hardcover copy of off half.com where they had hardcover versions with both names. The one I bought said 1995, but I just realized has a different ISBN. The ISBN listed above shows 2000. A little confusing, I just hope I got the right book!

The softcover version that I ordered from Amazon (as a result of this thread!) has just arrived. Inside it says "First published in hardback with illustrations and color maps as The Oxford Companion to the Second World War and The Oxford Companion to WWII (USA and Canada only) 1995". So that explains the difference - and you got the hardback version with color, you lucky guy! :D

Thanks...that seems like a weird thing to do, doesn't it? Two different names for the same book? Well, as long as the inside is the same, I don't care smile.gif Hopefully it will be along soon. Now, if I could only get PBEM to work on my computer :(