The German 222 Armored Car, question.

One of my favorites playing miniatures because our rules gave it the option for the 28-20 mm tapered bore gun.

1. How prevalent was this combination ?

2. Will this combination be in CMBB ?

The CMBB picture I saw of a troop of 222s going through a wheat field reminded me to ask about

'Gruber's cute little tank'.

Cute Toad

Is that the 2.8cm Panzerbusche 41? If so, I have never heard of it on that vehicle. I have never heard of any weapon other than the standard 20mm on the 222, except for the 223 that had just the MG34.

However, it does sound feasible since the Pzb41 was a pretty small weapon, easily transportable. Although I am still not sure it would fit in that turret. In fact, I think it would be impossible. Only the 250/11 mounted that weapon as far as I know.

The Panzerbusche was indeed fitted to the armored car, but whether in a closed turret or an open mounting I can't at the moment recall. Since the weapon itself and its ammunition were uncommon, I don't think many of these mods were produced or put into service.

Michael

Ok here's the answer , thanks to my "everything you wanted to know about german tanks" book

Sd Kfz 222 , 989 produced . Armament 1 x 2cm KwK 30 or KwK 38 Ammo 180 , and 1 x 7.92 MG34 Ammo 1050

Armour 8mm @ 35degrees or so all round .

In May 1942 front hull armour increased to 30mm

Sd Kfz 221 , 339 produced . Armament 1 x 7.92 MG34

Ammo 1050

Armour 8mm @ 35 degrees or so all round .

During 1942 the 2.8 sPzB41 was mounted into a modified turret . Ammo ? , How many modified ?

From WW2 Fact File series on self propelled AT weapons:

"2.8 cm,s.Pz.B 41 auf Sd.Kfz 221"

Produced in late 1941. Qty, ammo load out unknown, except there'd be no HE!! smile.gif

Also "Sd.Kfz 250/11 (2.8cm,s.Pz.B. 41)"

This was the 250 with the airborne version of the 2.8 mounted in it - apparently it could be dismounted and the wheels and carriage were carried on the rear plate of the vehicle.

Personally I'd like to see some of the 4.7cm AT vehicles - the PzJgd 1, the 4.7 on the French 35R chassis and the Lorraine tractor, and the 5cm on the SdKfz 7 tractor smile.gif

Originally posted by Farnz:

Tank shrubs ?!?

Are we talking hanging baskets ?

This is not what we old-timey Panzerblitz player grognards meant when we were grogning about the "Panzerbush syndrome", but it sounds very similar.

When people used empty trucks as forward observers to call indirect fire on people hidden in woods, their opponents probably did feel a lot like hanging the baskets.

All the best,

John.