Where Have All the GeForce4's Gone?

Having burned out (not overclocked either!) my second GeForce card in 3 months (both manufactured by Leadtek, by the way, so take that as a warning), I've been searching around for a new 3D accelerator. But the only cards on the market right now seem to be crappy MX jobs or Ti4200's. Ti4400's are rare as SturmTigers right now (and priced to match), and Ti4600's are next to non-existant.

What's going on? Manufacturers not resupplying retailers in anticipation of the new nVidia chip poised to come out? Or just afraid of Radeon? Whatever it is, I'm getting eye-strain at 640x480 and 16 colors.

you can still find 4400's - although i'm not sure you'll like the price

i did a quick search at newegg.com and found a gainward gold sample 4400 for 195

i just picked up a ti200 gold sample gainward card at newegg for 100 bucks and it works just fine

so if this is for CM you certainly don't need to get a 4400 unless you're dead set on it

the nice thing about gold sample gainward cards is that they take the best yield chips for the board and put on some heavy duty fans and vid memory heat sinks because they come from the mfg overlocked - with the software that comes with the card you can then take them back down to default speed settings and basically have a very conservative set up that won't burn up

go to newegg and do a search under vid card mfg and you'll see the listing for the gainward cards and what they are offering

imho the ti200 is more than enough card and relatively cheap

that way down the road you can pick up the next gen nvidia card once the prices have come down

at least that's what i plan on doing ;)