Orders?

I'm just curious, so nobody has to answer this, but how do you handle orders and tactics for each seperate battle? Do you have a set of planned formations(preset attack and defense positions, etc.) that you choose during battle according to best suited and so on. Or do you "shoot from the hip"? staying flexible as far as position, formation, and assigned tasks go during any given battle? Are you taking pages from your textbook, or are you "making this up as I go along"?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dunnee:

Do you have a set of planned formations(preset attack and defense positions, etc.) that you choose during battle according to best suited and so on. Or do you "shoot from the hip"? staying flexible as far as position, formation, and assigned tasks go during any given battle? Are you taking pages from your textbook, or are you "making this up as I go along"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use my experience playing the game and reading up on what tactics worked on the battlefield. But every game is different. the size of the map and the terrain present dictates how i'll use that experience and research.

That said, I have never paid so much for a game... Yeah yeah, the game was $45 shipped last May, but the amount spent on books and time used with research are a new thing. Usually you play a game system until you figure out the quirks and then exploit them until you are bored. WIth this game, every player, every scenario has taught me something new.

And the game keeps changing. Weather getting clobbered by a newbie working out the demo for the first time and doing something I've never seen before,or taking down a high level ladder player by doing sometithing unique myself, I learn from every battle (and will quit when I stop learning.... which I figure will be in about 30 years).

Clay-

As in a real war doing the samething all the time will eventually get you killed. I use my experiance from other and previous games and knowledge of history. Also the military training I had. It's funny one of my main opponants was an Infanrty officer and I was an Armor officer. The training we recieved does show through in how we approach different battle situations.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Compassion:

Usually you play a game system until you figure out the quirks and then exploit them until you are bored. WIth this game, every player, every scenario has taught me something new....

I learn from every battle (and will quit when I stop learning.... which I figure will be in about 30 years).

Clay-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the scary thing about this game--I'm not sure I will ever exhaust it, so it might remain an obsession forever. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad....but it's intense.

To answer the original question--I usually start with a rather generalized plan, which grows out of my perception of the specifics of terrain, mission, weather conditions, force size and makeup, expected opposition and so on. That plan then keeps getting adapted as the game unfolds. Sometimes the broad outlines of the plan remain intact even at the end of the game. Other times, the plan is abandoned within a few moves. Usually, the I haven't spelled the plan out it great detail in my own mind--it's more or less intuitive.

This game does teach you something everytimes you play, that's the redeeming quality, you never get bored. I wasn't referring to doing the samething all the time necessarily, I was wondering if anyone uses a "playbook", so to speak. A collection of remembered responses or orders to any given situation, personally, I'm a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy, but I've kept a few things that work in my head that I can whip out at crunch time. ..

I'd say that everyone with a little bit of experience in the game probably has a "playbook", so to speak, which they use. Most of the good tactics Ive come up with are bassed on 3 things.

a> Protect your flanks

b> concentrate your firepower

c> exploit the Bad Guy's flanks.

Everything else is just the specifics of how different kinds of units acheive those 3 goals against different enemy forces.

--Isean Mor