Scen Editor -- making Inf. stay in place

Sort of a tech support question.

When designing scenarios, how do I make the infantry stay in the place where I have set them. For example, I have set a company of Russian infantry on a ridge. When playtesting, as the Germans, the Russian infantry will leave the ridge in order to walk into open terrain in order to attack advancing tanks.

I am not using flags in this case. With flags, you get a "zombie" like effect when captured by the enemy... AI infantry walks toward flag exposing themselves to fire.

How do I make the AI behave and stay in position? Any tips?

thanks

I haven't been designing enough scenarios as of late to give you a definitive answer on this (if there is one).

My suggestion would be to give Hide orders and/or Firing Arcs to the units on top of the ridge. This might reduce their proclivity to 'charge like fools' into sudden death. I honestly don't know how effective such settings would be, especially once they are engaged. This setting wouldn't be available for Conscripts however (other than Hiding, which may not work too well with an AI opponent controlling them). Also make sure that their firing arc isn't too far out, since that may give them impetus to 'get closer in order to increase the effectiveness of their fire (if that is an actual routine that the TacAI uses - I assume it is).

Hopefully this behavior can be modified or controlled with the future CM (CMx2), but I'm sure it will be diffucult to code around.

Thanks for the reply.

Hiding has no effect. They seem to start moving once the oncoming Panzers come within a certain range (mb 1000 meters or so). I'll give cover arcs a go.

Will also try a flag on their position. Problem is that once the Germans take this ridge, new reinforcements will "zombie" walk toward it. (This is a deep campaign map with a small town beyond the ridge).

Odd thing is that I designed a map with similar depth and was successful in keeping the Russian infantry in ambush position. That was a "battle" vs. a campaign.

This has always been the achillies heel of this game. I used to think I was good until I learned the AI was just dumb. ;)