What are my infantry doing?

Folks

Just got CM and am playing the Grafenwohr infantry training mission, but I have some infantry doing weird things - I would love some advice please.

I ran a platoon of German infantry, under cover of smoke, to a nice reverse slope position. They were well protected and out of sight of the enemy. To coordinate with an attack I was launching on the other flank, I wanted to get these guys to climb the slope to the top and engage enemy troops about 250 metres away. I gave one squad the crawl command ending at the crest of the hill (I did all this from camera position 1 to be as accurate as possible), but I gave the three other squads sneak commands to the crest line (as I thought the crawl would be slower and I wanted some guys firing fairly soon).

The squad with the crawl command did everything right - crawled to the crest, spotted the enemy and started firing. However, the other squads advanced *over* the crest about 30 metres into open ground or scattered trees, and were left exposed to enemy fire. On the next move, horrified, I tried to get them to go back over the crest to safety, as this was not going how I wanted it to. One squad turned back, took fire and broke and are now cowering in trees to the rear of the position. The other two squads went some way back, but then, under fire, turned about and returned to their exposed positions and are trying to hide. I think they are pinned and shaken.

What did I do wrong? I guess I should have given them all crawl commands, but why did the squads move well beyond the point I told them to sneak to? Can I get them back to safety? And with the broken squad, would moving the platoon commander over to them retrieve them?

Thanks for any advice.

Smith

Well heres a tip. Try the group squod command when trying that kind of thing. Then desuleced the squod command. Finaly click on the squod and/or squods you give a differnt movement and just hit the square at the end of there move or in this cace sneak and Press the hot key for the order you want. And all problem solved...just try it! smile.gif

A slightly more practical tip than Rob's would be to use the Fast command rather than crawl when crossing open ground. If you are in open ground with good visibility, the enemy is going to see you no matter what. Therefore, you should spend as little time as possible moving across open ground, to minimize your time under fire. Sounds like you did everything else well, though. Also, you have to remember that shaken units are on the very verge of panic. If they feel that your orders are going to get them killed, they will run for cover instead. Generally, you should hide these units to give them time to rest and recover. When they are ok once again, then attack.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Ummm... no offense, but WHAT exactly is Rob/1 trying to say?!

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...

"If you should find yourself riding in a green meadow, surrounded by sun and warmth, do not be afraid... for you are in Alyssium, AND YOU'RE ALREADY DEAD!"

I think he is trying to suggest moving the whole squad by double clicking on the commander, then while holding shift click the squad you want to deselect. THEN issue the move command you wish to give.

You could then click on the move icon ( I don't know what to call it) and change the order issued for that squad if you want it to get there a different way.

I could be totally off on what he is suggesting, but I'll have a few more beers and see if his spelling makes sense then. eek.gif

You may have accidentally mis-positioned your movement lines, or more likely, the TacAI treated crawling as if it afforded a little concealment and cover when exposed on the crest, while sneaking still has the troops standing up but trying to move slowly stealthily. When they reached the top of the open hill and were exposed to enemy fire, the TacAI quickly moved them to some real cover (the scattered trees). That's my best guess.

------------------

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

--Einstein

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loki:

I think he is trying to suggest moving the whole squad by double clicking on the commander, then while holding shift click the squad you want to deselect. THEN issue the move command you wish to give.

You could then click on the move icon ( I don't know what to call it) and change the order issued for that squad if you want it to get there a different way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your dead on there Loki

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I could be totally off on what he is suggesting, but I'll have a few more beers and see if his spelling makes sense then. eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hum....I don't like you any more!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loki:

I could be totally off on what he is suggesting, but I'll have a few more beers and see if his spelling makes sense then. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, even after 5 bottles of Avalanche, it didn't get much better. I'm sure mine got a little biy worse, though. Working on 6 when the campus police showed up. frown.gif

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I've never had much luck crawling guys on open ground, reverse slope or not. Soon as there's a line of sight, the guy on his belly always seems to get nailed before he can get a shot off.

Same with sneak. If there's no cover around, I find it better to use Fast to get to a decent firing position.

My rule of thumb: When giving orders, I assume every unit is only slightly less cowardly than myself.

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell

Guess I need to avoid hilltops with open ground...

Now my guys are stuck up there I'm in real trouble in this game - my guys on the right flank have done some good work in the woods, but don't look like they have the grunt to push on. Looks like I will lose this one...

if the squads were out in open terrain even if behind the crest of a hill i find my men tend to run for the nearest treeline. just keep then out of the open and i find they are happpier. as an infantryman i can undrstand this. its not fun to lay in an open feild and shoot at teh enemy. give me a nice big tree anyday

Gremlin,

Sadly, I'm fresh outta arty. I used smoke to cover the guys when I ran them from their initial position to the hill they are now being slaughtered on. The FO I used had heaps of ammo, so I thought I would use some smoke for one move, then switch targets with HE. However, because he was a veteran FO, he shot off *all* his remaining ammo (which was a lot) in that one move! Lots of smoke, but now the cupboard is bare. Learnt a valuable lesson from that.

I have two 50mm mortars and an MG42 almost in position, so I might have a chance of getting my guys out of poo creek....if the Brits don't counter-attack in the woods...