CM freezes with the new computer

Hi,

I recently upgraded my computer and now CM is unplayable. It freezes already during the first turn when I'm giving orders. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work and I just have to switch the computer off. I never had this problem with my old system.

The specs for the new computer are:

TBird 1GHz

Asus A7V mobo

256 MB PC-133

Elsa GeForce2 MX 32MB

IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30 GB

Soundblaster Live! Value

DirectX 8.0

Latest NVidia drivers from their website

Latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers and BIOS v.1003 for the mobo

CM v1.1

Windows 98SE

Desktop resolution 32 bit

All except vital programs are closed during the game.

Any help is appreciated.

JV

[This message has been edited by JigVictor07 (edited 02-01-2001).]

Though this has no bearing on your particular problem to my knowledge...

The ASUS A7V has a version 1005c BIOS at the moment. The Tiawanese site is mixing up the English characters at the moment, so I can't figure out all of the differences between your current BIOS and this one. I believe there have been some changes to the ATA-100 controller and SMBus. Possibly some other changes too.

ASUS A7V BIOS update:

http://www.asus.com.tw/products/motherboard/bios_socka.html

A7V BIOS Beta BIOS 1005d (fixes some boot problems with previous 1005 BIOS's):

http://www.asus.com.tw/products/techref/tech-report/mthmbqa.html

There is also a BIOS update to the Elsa Gladiac MX (though this mentions the GeForce 2 GTS in the text, it appears to be for the MX). This will most likely affect functionality between the video card and the monitor and any applicable changes to displaying certain resolutions, etc.

Elsa Gladiac MX BIOS update (get NTSC version 3.11.00.18.34):

http://www2.elsa.de/internet/ElsaFileArea.nsf/files?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=4.2.1#4.2.1

It seems as if Elsa has released drivers based on 6.67. I'm not sure if there is anything special about them (most likely not), but you may want to try these instead of the NVidia Reference drivers you have installed now (though I'd guess that there really isn't a difference). Madmatt has had problems with a number of the NVidia releases above 6.31, so I don't know if these will be any better or not:

http://www2.elsa.de/internet/ElsaFileArea.nsf/files?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=4.2.5#4.2.5

What are your current FSAA settings ? Though your computer should be fast enough to use FSAA without problems, you may want to tinker with the settings to see if this does anything.

Do you have any other lockups with this computer outside of playing CM ? Do you play any other DirectX-based games ?

Thanks again Schrullenhaft,

I'm using BIOS v1.003 because it's said to be the most stable version. But maybe I try the 1.005 version and see what happens. And the other fixes also.

About FSAA, I'm using 1x2 setting now and haven't tried any other setting. The only other game I'm playing currently is the B17-II and amazingly I haven't had any problems with that (or any other software), unlike many others have...

I contacted the BTS support directly and Madmatt sent me a long list of possible fixes in about an hour, even though it must have been about 1 or 2 AM there. That's what I call support!

Thanks again for your help!

JV