cover arcs on ambush

I absolutely love the addition of cover arcs in CMBB! But, using them to ambush is of limited value, and can actually get you into some serious trouble. You cannot exactly match the arcs, so when the ambush trap is sprung, I find that only a squad or 2 open up. Often times, MY abushing squads get waxed because they don't spring together. This is ridiculous. I wonder if including the old Ambush command would be possible in the patch? Or at least give the ambushing platoon HQ the ability to trigger the ENTIRE platoon!

Ambush command is gone forever, and I agree that cover arcs takes a good deal more finesse. I'm wondering if BFC thought the old CMBO ambush command was being used in a gamey way and replaced it with cover arcs specifically to water-down the use of ambush.

[ October 23, 2002, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I do it like so. Turn on covered-arc display (shift-x). Using two squads, I give them covered arcs that cover the same terrain. This can be done almost to the pixel IF you really stretch those arcs around. These two squads will end up covering a rather small section of ground (but wide enough to cover the "entrance" to the ambush).

With the remaining squad(s) and the HQ, plot cover arcs that cover the "interior"; that is, the space not covered, or only partially covered, by the other two squads.

That should get you through the springing of the ambush. Once it's sprung, turn the arcs off. The ambush should cause enough havoc, but if you leave the cover arcs alone after that turn, you'll probably find yourself in a world of hurt ;)

Hope that is of some assistance. I've used that technique often with ATGs, when I want them to open up in tandem. I have to make some crazy "arcs", but it's worked.

Originally posted by Cameroon:

[QB]"I do it like so. Turn on covered-arc display (shift-x). Using two squads, I give them covered arcs that cover the same terrain. This can be done almost to the pixel IF you really stretch those arcs around. These two squads will end up covering a rather small section of ground (but wide enough to cover the "entrance" to the ambush)."

Originally posted by Cameroon:

[QB]"I do it like so. Turn on covered-arc display (shift-x). Using two squads, I give them covered arcs that cover the same terrain. This can be done almost to the pixel IF you really stretch those arcs around. These two squads will end up covering a rather small section of ground (but wide enough to cover the "entrance" to the ambush)."

Yes, thanks for the help . . . but there is still a problem. You can match the corners of the pixel if you "really stretch those arcs around", but you fatten one of the arcs too much this way, so that inevitably one squad is covering too far into the ambush, and will trigger the ambush alone if the opponent happens to approach from that angel. ARghh, it is so difficult to describe in English, but I think you understand what I mean.

Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

Or at least give the ambushing platoon HQ the ability to trigger the ENTIRE platoon!

I like that. I like it bigtime. In fact, be able to specify anyone who will be the trigger. In Citadel, I tried many times to do what Cameroon is describing, and it never really worked for me.

When you consider the case of two trucks coming down the road, spaced 50m , and four guys hiding in the woods on either side, spaced 50m... then the arc thing REALLY doesn't work, but the trigger would. After all, isn't one guy triggering the ambush closer to what happens in reality?

Another day, another CMII wish,

Eden

Yup. That's how I learned it, anyhoo.

Our squad leader was the one to trigger the ambush. It would be nice if the platoon HQ had a Platoon Ambush command. All of his squads in C&C would react to the HQ's covered arc. (Of course, that's exactly what the old ambush command did.)

Kind of a step backwards, towards CM:BO. :(

Gpig

Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

. . . but there is still a problem. You can match the corners of the pixel if you "really stretch those arcs around", but you fatten one of the arcs too much this way, so that inevitably one squad is covering too far into the ambush, and will trigger the ambush alone if the opponent happens to approach from that angel.

Yes, I can see there is a problem here. But it is eased somewhat if your squads are located pretty closely together so that they have much the same angle on the thing.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

. . . but there is still a problem. You can match the corners of the pixel if you "really stretch those arcs around", but you fatten one of the arcs too much this way, so that inevitably one squad is covering too far into the ambush, and will trigger the ambush alone if the opponent happens to approach from that angel.

Yes, I can see there is a problem here. But it is eased somewhat if your squads are located pretty closely together so that they have much the same angle on the thing. </font>