The worst QB I have ever had.

45 turns, 3000 point assault (axis defending), me as axis. Nothing outlandish about my force, 2 SS rifle companies, 2 J/Panthers, couple of bunkers, shreks, few MGs, 1 105mm spotter. Thought I would get clobbered. BUT, took out a couple of AIs tanks with shreks placed well forward, most of my force then placed in reverse slopes defence. Loss of the tanks seemed to spook AI as did a couple of MGs harrassing infantry. To my amazement though the AI did and achieved nothing. Started smoking my left company at turn 25 (for about 5 turns) then switched the tactic to the right. I wouldn't have minded if it had used the smoke as a screen to advance but, zilch. I waited till about turn 40 and just pushed a couple of platoons forward to take remaining two flags (which I had positioned short of). I've had some bad QBs before but this has got to be the worst EVER!!! Or is it?

Let me tell you the reverse. I set up a totally normal computer-pick QB where I was attacking the AI. On turn 1 I ordered both spotters to fire on landmarks in town. I then selected everybody else and issued a single collective 'move' order towards the enemy...infantry, armor, support weapons, the works. After that I just clicked GO for the whole game, with the exception that I change the tanks' move order destination cube to 'hunt'.

I beat the AI and even got an autosurrender major victory.

About half my infantry stopped advancing when fired upon and ran to the nearest cover (on their own.) From there they provided cover fire for the rest. My armor engaged and destroyed the AI's armor, and then provided close support for the final infantry assault, which started about as the arty stopped falling.

The moral of the story is not that the AI is bad, as AI's go, but just that even a fairly poor human player will give you a better game than the AI in a QB. On the other hand, a scenario designed to be fought against the AI can be very challenging, as can fighting the AI with Franko's extreme FOW rules.

Don't get me wrong, I usually find the the AI does quite well (perhaps because I'm not that good) but whether it was some kind of fluke or what, this was just abysmal. I think even with poor planning the AI could have hammered me. It had 700+ troops OK after the action and before my shreks KO'd two tanks I saw that it had at least a company of tanks in support. This was just my first experiencing of the AI actually seeming to throw a wobbler? Not sure whether it was just the forward placing of shreks that did it or what?

Parade, parade? I wasn't presuming to be some kind of military superstar just because I beat the AI (which is not too difficult regardless of how good it is). I actually think CMBOs is the best I've faced yet, in fact I actually enjoy it.

[ February 17, 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Apache ]

The AI, especially on attack, is usually doomed to failure at the outset. Why?

Well, just set up a QB but remove FOW completely.

Now have a look at the AI's layout.

More often than not the great majority of his forces are not in C&C. This is exacerbated when there is minimal covering terrain.

It seems that the AI puts cover as a higher priority than C&C.

So, straight away the computer opponent is at a disadvantage as, presumably, those units not in C&C will have longer command delays.

After a few turns you will notice that even those platoons that started out in C&C, have been split-up.

So it is hardly surprising that you see tanks attacking way ahead of infantry; Hq's attacking on their own and odds and ends of platoons attacking completely out of sequence.

Hopefully this has or is being corrected in CMBB.

If it hasn't, then QB's will share the fate of those in CBBO.

Which will be a big shame as I still play the buggers more than authored battles!