Black and white mod?

Has anyone ever done a black and white mod for CM? I was thinking about it and I can't recall one, nor can I recall a thread about one. It's probably not high on any modders list, but since most of the film of WWII that we are all familiar with is in B & W it seemed to me that it might be a cool effect. An interactive documentary of sorts, one minute at a time, with no commercial interuptions.

It would be a truly monumental undertaking. Every texture would have to be touched and then tweaked to look its best. Most people would probably not use it for long, before saying 'that's nice' and reloading their old .bmp file.

Probably a waste of bandwidth (this thread for sure, and perhaps the mod). It's just an idea I thought I'd throw out there for consumption and comment.

Your post was more than 50% apologia for having posted it. I think that is a new record!

It is an interesting idea, but I disagree strongly that WW II should be viewed as a "black and white" war. There is ample colour photography and motion picture footage (including Eastern Front stuff - check out World at War for some great colour movies, albeit brief) to convey a sense of reality.

A friend of mine is putting together some colour photos of Canadians in WW II for a future project; most unpublished. Seeing stuff in colour just reinforces the idea that what happened was real, not just some movie.

Nonetheless, your mod is doable - most paint programs allow you to save files as "greyscale" - the only thing you would really have to do is properly mask the pink parts.

Grass mods would be tricky, if you want to show elevation.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Your post was more than 50% apologia for having posted it. I think that is a new record!

It is an interesting idea, but I disagree strongly that WW II should be viewed as a "black and white" war. There is ample colour photography and motion picture footage (including Eastern Front stuff - check out World at War for some great colour movies, albeit brief) to convey a sense of reality.

A friend of mine is putting together some colour photos of Canadians in WW II for a future project; most unpublished. Seeing stuff in colour just reinforces the idea that what happened was real, not just some movie.

Nonetheless, your mod is doable - most paint programs allow you to save files as "greyscale" - the only thing you would really have to do is properly mask the pink parts.

Grass mods would be tricky, if you want to show elevation.

one problem: hard coded stuff like tracers, mortars, berets, and zook tubes are colored forever.

I've had B&W on my Mac a few times without wanting it. If I Escape to the desktop and then put my Mac to sleep, then after I wake it up and reactivate CM, there are no colors, just B&W. Not a pretty kind of B&W either, as most of the detail is lost.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

There is ample colour photography and motion picture footage (including Eastern Front stuff - check out World at War for some great colour movies, albeit brief) to convey a sense of reality.

I remember the sense of shock I felt when I began seeing color photos from the war in large numbers during the 1970s. I had seen a few in the preceeding years, but that's when the flood began. Many of them actually seemed less real to me, but perhaps that was because they were originally taken for Signals magazine and quite possibly staged.

What's really eerie sometime is looking at a photo of soldiers/airmen/sailors taken during the war when they were young, strong men and comparing a present-day photo of the same men. It does tend to drive home the reality of the process of aging.

Michael

I recall that about two years ago someone actually did a black and white mod for terrain, houses and some units.

It looked fairly nice, like a b/w movie, but all sorts of camouflage became very effective!

In other words; it's not beneficial for the gameplay.

Cheers

Olle

Edit:

Coming to think of it; it was probably not a true mod, but greyscaled screenshots.

The result stands though.

[ July 18, 2002, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Olle Petersson ]