StuGs in batteries but not in platoons...

I have not browsed through all the latest posts, so maybe OOB discussions have already covered this, so I apologize in advance if I am beating a dead horse ;)

I noticed that StuGs could only be taken in batteries (three) and not as platoons (four). Starting in mid-43 I believe, PZ and PG DVs were equipped with StuG Abteilung that were comprised of kompanies of 14 StuGs; three plts of 4, with two command vehicles.

Since StuGs are my favorite German AFV historically and in game, I would like to replicate battles with both batteries and platoons of StuGs. Was this overlooked or simply too fine a detail to include? No doubt the many CM'ers that have special interests on the Eastern Front have noticed similar things they want included but there is just too much of those finer details to include.

I am under no illusions it will make the top 10 things to add/fix on any forthcoming patches smile.gif , but hopefully the OOB code is nice and robust and it would only take a minute or two to add this into the unit lists smile.gif

Originally posted by MajorTaktik:

I have not browsed through all the latest posts, so maybe OOB discussions have already covered this, so I apologize in advance if I am beating a dead horse ;)

I noticed that StuGs could only be taken in batteries (three) and not as platoons (four). Starting in mid-43 I believe, PZ and PG DVs were equipped with StuG Abteilung that were comprised of kompanies of 14 StuGs; three plts of 4, with two command vehicles.

Since StuGs are my favorite German AFV historically and in game, I would like to replicate battles with both batteries and platoons of StuGs. Was this overlooked or simply too fine a detail to include? No doubt the many CM'ers that have special interests on the Eastern Front have noticed similar things they want included but there is just too much of those finer details to include.

I am under no illusions it will make the top 10 things to add/fix on any forthcoming patches smile.gif , but hopefully the OOB code is nice and robust and it would only take a minute or two to add this into the unit lists smile.gif

StuGs are always in batteries not platoons. There are a few examples of 4 vehicle batteries, but 3 is far more common

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MajorTaktik:

StuGs are always in batteries not platoons. There are a few examples of 4 vehicle batteries, but 3 is far more common</font>

Originally posted by redwolf:

I also noted that platoons are always of size 4.

I am pretty sure that late-war SS panzer formations used platoons of 5.

If so it would be cool if it was reflected in the game.

Eh? there are late war SS/Army Divs with StuG/PIV/Panther platoons of three tanks.

Official TO&E for a German tank platoon is 5 tanks, although I think the figure that BTS quotes is more apt to be the actual number encountered on the battlefield.

The StuGs belonged to the artillery arm at first (I am unclear as to who actually owned them after Guderian's reforms) and, so I understand, were officially in batteries of 6, though again after extended combat they could be expected to be represented by smaller numbers.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Official TO&E for a German tank platoon is 5 tanks, although I think the figure that BTS quotes is more apt to be the actual number encountered on the battlefield.

The StuGs belonged to the artillery arm at first (I am unclear as to who actually owned them after Guderian's reforms) and, so I understand, were officially in batteries of 6, though again after extended combat they could be expected to be represented by smaller numbers.

Michael

I apologize, I was not clear, since I was going on memory (always refer to sources before quoting!Though 90% of my resources are packed away being in between moves smile.gif ). Refering to "The Combat History of Sturmgeschutz Brigade 276", StuG BATTERIES were comprised of three plts of three StuGs each.

The point on my erroneous first post was that StuG plts in some pz/pg dvs had StuG Kompanies of three plts of FOUR StuGs each. This is stated in "Panzer Truppen, vol.2", edited by Thomas L. Jentz.

So, StuGs plts came in both varieties, with either three or four vehicles each.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Michael

There was more than one TO&E table for Panzer kompanie and abteilung.

K.ST.N1177,1.11.1944/1.4.1945: 10 Panzers per kompanie, 3 Panzers per zug

This was in conjunction with the 1945 one abteilung Panzer Divisions TO&E.

There are also 1.4.1944: 17 Panzers per Kompanie, 5 Panzers per zug

And 1.4.1944: 14 Panzer per Kompanie, 4 Panzer per zug.

I just spotted that BTS partly does what I said above, platoons of tanks (not SP guns, TDs or THs) are 5 vehicles in Februar 1945, except Tigers and King Tigers.

Now, what I would like and think is correct would be Heer and SS having different platoon sizes in the same timeframe.