How can I improve game performance?

I have an AMD 6K 450MHz with a nVIDIA TNT2 Riva M64 with 32MB and 128MB of RAM. How can I improve game speed in the larger scenarios aside from turning off certain game features.

Are there settings in the video card controls that one can adjust to increase performance?

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Make sure you have no programs running in the background. Disable your virus checking (however much of a performance hit it makes anyway). Kill any applets that are running on the System tray.

For video settings you can disable "Wait for Vertical Sync", though this may make little difference in CM. You may want to try 16-bit color since that is the color depth that CM supposedly operates at.

You may want to download the latest nVidia Reference driver (though it may not have all the controls your current drivers):

Detonator 5.33 (I wouldn't suggest the 6.01):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

Your current driver may have this capability, if not the Reference drivers should (I can't remember if a registry tweak is necessary for the overclocking control panel to appear or not): Overclocking. The TNT2 M64 is probably not going to very overclockable, if at all. To top it off CM is quite often very sensitive to overclocking and may lock up immediately. Otherwise you get the best speed benefits from overclocking the memory portion of your video card.

For general system performance you can also tweak your BIOS/CMOS settings for your memory timing. This will depend on the quality and speed of your memory. A CAS of 2 or 2-2-2 type memory settings will usually give you the best results - if your memory can handle those settings. You may want to check on your video caching options in the BIOS/CMOS setup also (though there may not be much of a benefit here though).

I downloaded "freemem" to better manage my RAM. It seemed to help in several huge scenarios.Don't know how to set my virtual RAM except in the graphics card control and I'm playing with different settings.

Don't know about the ROM BIOS or to set AGP transfer size. If anyone can help me with these I'd appreciate it. As you can see I'm quite the novice when it comes to the deeper things of computers.

Thanks for the help.

Also installed the latest drivers from the manufacturer but they didn't change anything.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I just want to say how I appreciate all of the help everyone has given me over the last 3 months in improving my system with new video card, RAM card and adjustments and downloads. This forum is one of the positive points of the CM game. To everyone, thanks!

------------------