I need information about Allied forces in Italy, 1944, please...

Hi, I'm going to go forward with my plan to make some missions for CM:BO, and CM:BB, involving the FallschirmPanzerKorps HG, and it's various battles during WW2.

My first mission is going to recreate the attack that the HG Panzer Division was ordered to begin on the 25th of May. The division was to assemble in the area northwest of Valmontone. The offensive was to clear up the point of penetration east of Velletri, eventually leading to a possible drive through to Anzio.

At 1930 on the 25th of May, the attack began. The division took possession of the Lariano-Arteno road, but became bogged down due to heavy enemy fire from artillery and other weapons.

Kampfgruppe Heydebreck, traveling on road C (The Florence-Arezzo-Orvieto-Rome road), arrived near Monte Ponio, east of Frascati. That evening they received orders to drive ahead through Valmontone and capture and hold the high ground south of Artena.

On the 26th of May, the armored reconnaisnace battlaion encountered American tanks at the southern edge of Artena. The enemy advance was stopped, however the division could not take the high ground near Artena.

So, my question is this. What division or divisions, and specific units were in Artena on the 25th and 26th of May? What, if any, known personalities were there, and what were the commanders of the division? All I know right now, was that they were American tanks.

Any help (web links, information, photographs) would be greatly appreciated. Also, any books on this area, from the perspective of the Allies would be great as well, as I'd like to read more from their perspective.

Thanks.

[ August 19, 2002, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Dryfear ]

D-DAY DODGERS: The Canadians in Italy by Daniel Dancocks gives a good readable story of I Canadian Corps, and touches on 8th Army and 15th Army Group's participation in the Italian Campaign.

I had a list of British Divisions in theatre on my Tommy site - if you email me at madorosh@shaw.ca I can send that list to you (including major battles) if I can find it.

Thanks! I'll email you as soon as I can. From what I've found, these units were sent to Valmontone, and were probably the ones engaged by the HG Panzer Division.

3d Division, the 1st Special Service Force, and elements of the 1st Armored Division. Anyone have information on these units or any good books I could buy detaling their time in Italy?

Thanks again.

There are many books on FSSF - The Devils Brigade by Walton, I think, and some newer ones. Do a search on Amazon for "Devil's Brigade" and "Little Black Devils" - they were known as the Little Black Devils on Anzio and did face off with Hermann Goering IIRC during patrol actions across the Mussolini Canal. There are some book titles dealing with them at my site at http://www.canadiansoldiers.com - click on the bibliography link in the left hand frame. The FSSF is towards the bottom of the list.

Adleman, Robert H. The Devil's Brigade Toronto, ON: Bantam Books of Canada, 1967

Burhans, Robert D. The First Special Service Force: A War History of the North Americans 1942-1944 Nashville, TN: Battery Press, 1981

Coottingham, Peter Layton. Once Upon A Wartime Neepawa, MB: P.L. Cottingham, 1996

Peppard, Herb: The Lighthearted Soldier: A Canadian's Exploits with the Black Devils in WW II Halifax, NS: Nimbus Publishing Ltd., 1994

Coincidentally, I'm writing a paper on Anzio. Its on logistics, rather than tactics, so I haven't worried too much about the actual units engaged.

But, on D-Day the 1st(UK) Div, 3rd US Div, 1st, 3rd, 4th Ranger Bns, and 509th Indep Parachute Infantry Battalion (together forming 6615 Ranger Regt), and 9 Army Commando and 43 Royal Marine Commando (together forming 2nd Special Service Bde) and the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment (borrowed from 82nd AB Div) all landed.

The 504th PIR and 2nd SS Bde was soon withdrawn, the former sent off to England and Overlord. The commandos were gone within days, the US paras stayed until sometime in March.

Meanwhile the Anzio beachhead was soon reinforced by the 1st SSF (on 2nd Feb), the 45th Inf Div (late Jan), 1st Armd Div (late Jan), and 56th (UK) Inf Div (around 14 Feb). Eventually in the beachhead there were seven divisions (1(UK), 5(UK), 56(UK), 3(US), 34(US), 45(US), and 1(US Armd), plus the 1st SSF.

Here is a list of more or less useful books and articles:

- (1944). Outline Plan OPERATION “SHINGLE”. Headquarters Fifth Army (available online from the Carlisle Barracks)

- ( - ). The German operations at Anzio. Fort Benning, Georgia: Headquarters 25th Infantry (available online from the Carlisle Barracks)

- (1944). Lessons learned in combat, November 1942 – September 1944. Headquarters 34th Infantry Division, US Army. (available online from the Carlisle Barracks)

Blumenson, M. (1960). General Lucas at Anzio. In K.R. Greenfield (ed.), Command Decisions. (pp. 323 – 350). (2000) Washington, D.C.: Center Of Military History, Department Of The Army. (available online from the CMH)

Bowditch, J. (1947). Anzio beachhead 22 January - 25 May 1944. (1990) Washington, D.C.: Center Of Military History, Department Of The Army. (available online from the CMH - has lots of very good maps)

D’Este, C. (1991). Fatal decision, Anzio and the battle for Rome. New York: Harper Collins Publishers Ltd.

Ellis, J. (1984). Cassino, the hollow victory, the battle for Rome January – June 1944. London: André Deutsch Ltd.

Graham, D., & Bidwell, S. (1986). Tug of war, the battle for Italy, 1943 – 45. New York: St. Martin’s Press

Laurie, C.D. ( - ). The US Army campaigns of world war II, Anzio, 1944. U.S. Army Center of Military History. (available online from the CMH)

Molony C.J.C (1973). History of the second world war: The Mediterranean and Middle East: Volume V, the campaign in Sicily 1943 and the campaign in Italy3rd september 1943 to 31st March 1744. Her Majesty’s Stationery Office.

Morison, S.E. (1954). History of United States Navy operations in world war II, volume IX : Sicily – Salerno – Anzio, January 1943 ~ June 1944. Boston: Little, Brown and Company

Smith, K.V. ( - ). The US Army campaigns of world war II, Naples – Foggia, 1943 – 1944. U.S. Army Center of Military History (available online from the CMH)

Woodruff, W. (1995). The battle for Anzio. Joint Force Quarterly, Summer 1995, 62 - 67. (available online)

Pemberton, A.L. (1954). The development of artillery tactics and equipment. The War Office.

The D'Este book has an appendice listing avaerages of all the US artillery in the beachhead by type and quantity. By figuring out the number of divs in the beachhead at the time you're interested in, you should be able to figure out fairly accurate figures for the date concerned.

The following Royal Artillery Regiments were also in the beachhead:

1st (UK) Div

2nd Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (35, 42, & 53/87 btys)

19th Fd (24 x 105mm Priest) (29, 39, & 96/97 btys)

67th Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (265, 266, & 446 btys)

81st AT (mix of 36 6-pr. and 17-pr.) (?, 294, 297, & 328 btys)

90th LAA (48 x Bofors 40mm) (311, 312, & 313 btys)

24th Fd (24 x 105mm Priest) (22, 50, & 56 btys) (Army troops)

78th Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (309, 310, & 456 btys) (Army troops)

80th Mdm (probably 16 x 5.5-in.) (110 & 111 btys)

1st Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (?, ?, & ? btys) (borrowed from 4th Indian Div)

5th (UK) Div

91st Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (361, 363, & 466 btys)

92nd Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (365, 368, & ? btys)

156th Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (?, ?, & ? btys)

? AT Regt

? LAA Regt

98th Fd (24 x 105mm Priest) (?, ?, & ? btys) (Army troops)

102nd Mdm (probably 16 x 5.5-in.) (? & ? btys)

56th (UK) Div

64th Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (?, ?, & ? btys)

65th Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (?, ?, & ? btys)

113th Fd (probably 24 x 25-pr.) (?, ?, & ? btys)

? AT Regt

? LAA Regt

69th Mdm (probably 16 x 5.5-in.) (? & ? btys)

Regards

JonS

[ August 19, 2002, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

I'm sorry, I can't help you, as I really don't know much about these battles.

I live really close to Velletri, some Kms from Frascati, (where I went to school) and Artena and the other towns down there.

My grandmother's house in Ariccia was shelled by American artillery (or naval artillery, don't know), and they scored a direct hit, without exploding. There was this huge hole that came from Anzio smile.gif

They weren't there at that time, but the Germans had established a small HQ in their house, so I guess they got someone.

My grandpa (who's from Ariccia too), still remembers very clearly German tanks rolling in the town, towards Anzio, during the night, and returning with blood all scattered on the armour, and with the tanks all damaged.

Some drunked Germans once even took him and a friend with them, for some unknown reasons, and they put them in a little jail for a night long.

The next morning a sergent liberated them, and rudely told something at the other soldiers.

My grandpa's family established a friendship with this sergent named Joachim (or something similiar), who was from Austria. He always talked how he wanted to go back there, but couldn't.

We don't know his last name, or if he died or not.

I really hope he survived though.

A bit out of context I know! :cool:

Amazing stuff guys, thanks a lot! You don't know how much you've helped.

Audace, I don't believe the HG Panzer ever had a HQ in Arricia. I haven't come across that town name in my research. However, there were other units, of course, in the area. I'd love to know just who this man Joachim was, and what unit he was from...there were 2 KC winners named Joachim who served with HG Panzer. Anyway, even if he wasn't with that unit, finding out who he really was would be interesting.

I'd also love to know just who those tanks belonged to, as well...very intersting stuff!

One last question to audace. What is the terrain like near Artena? I know there are hills south of Artena, and the Socco River runs along it's north edge. If you know the name of those hills, that would be helpful.

Is the terrain slightly hilly before Artena? Are there many trees or brush in and around Artena (I'm guessing no.)? If you don't know, that's fine too, just figure I'd pick your brain while I had your attention, hehe. smile.gif

Hi Dryfear,

I don't know if that was an HQ or not actually.

My grandma remembers that a group of around 10 or 15 people went into their house and told her family to leave, as from that moment on it was their house. Maybe it was just a patrol and nothing more, and they thought it was an HQ.

Her house in Ariccia (it's in the "Colli Albani" region, very near to Velletri) was in a position where you could easily see the Anzio beachhead.

She remembers all the ships down there, and everyday there was shelling even at that distance.

My grandpa lived on another part of Ariccia, not too far, and his house wasn't requisioned.

He still todays always tells us that German soldiers weren't bad as everybody say, and that they were good soldiers and good people.

On October 9 or so, again in Ariccia, there was a little shooting, when some Italian soldiers who were closed in the Municipality exchanged fire with the Germans after the Armistice.

He remembers that there were this rifle sounds in the center, and screaming all around, and in the end the 4 or 5 Italian soldiers were dead and the Germans captured the municipality.

He still remembers how only ONE single German soldiers could command the entire town. He would be there in the square, with his "Machine pistolen" (he still remembers the word) and that's it.

Another thing he told me was that he remembers that almost all of them had a narrow red strip in their jacket, and they thought that was because they served on the Russian front before.

Once I showed him some pictures of Panzer IV, StugIII , Tiger etc, and he could remember them.

He clearly remembers the "Tiger" tank, but maybe that could have been a PZ4, and the people thought it was the feared Tiger tank.

They went just meters away from his house, usually during the night, and they were around 4 or 5 tanks, no more.

Maybe it was a little detachement.

I really asked him so many times who this Joachim was, or if they remembered something about his last name, or other things.

They only knows his name. When I ask him about that soldier, he just say that he hopes he survived the war.

There are so many other stories...

When the US bombed Ariccia to stone age!

When he saw a German bomber plane alongside the road that from Ariccia goes to Rome.

When Allied planes came every night to throw bengalas on the big Ariccia bridge by night and bombed it.

etc etc

I've always been fascinated by their stories, it's good to remember them.

My other grandpa instead was in North Africa, Tunisia, 1942/43.

His brother fought in Greece and Jugoslavia.

Kingfish,

you may be right. As far as I can tell though, the 36th didn't arrive untill around 26th May, and after the link up with the main front advancing from Cassino - i.e. they were never in the 'beachhead' as such, although they were part of VI Corps.

I did make a mistake though. 56th (UK) Div was replaced by 5th (UK) Div during the first couple of weeks of March. It had been so badly damaged during the German February offensive that it had to be sent to Palestine to regroup. So, there were only ever two UK Divs in the beachhead.

Regards

JonS