Game portal for CM?

I agree that Windows users should use some sort of Firewall for protection from hackers. I'd reccomend them in this order..

1. Software on own computer. Cheapest, easiest to manage, but most open to hacking.

2. Cheap Hardware router running NAT. The most secure but harder to configure router to pass through ports to internal IP addresses.

3. Dedicated Unix/Mac running Firewall/Router software. Very secure, very configurable but the most expensive and the hardest to set up.

*** I'd say Mac users have very little to worry about unless you allow guest access into file sharing. One benefit to having a smaller user base is there are fewer people to hack into your computer, the Mac OS is also far less open to hacking because of it's architecture. I'm sure we will see more hacking into OS X, but haven't seen it yet. Pleae no Mac/PC arguments.

Hey guys,

So, do I assume that a cable DSL (from RCN) has no firewall to protect me? I'm asking mostly for my roommates who run PCs (I have a mac laptop hookedup at most a few hours a day). If that's the case, where is the best web resources on setting up a good hardware firewall.

Thanks

Pete

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

Can anyone advise if there is a hassle free firewall available which doesn't interfere with online gaming?<hr></blockquote>

Security and hassle-free are mutually exclusive. In fact, the biggest enemy of security is outright laziness (shared, guessable passwords, failing to turn off services, permenantly patching holes thru firewalls, etc.)

Decent security means one has to jump thru some hoops to do things they like to do, like internet gaming.

That said, ZoneAlarm would be a good fit for you. It will not lock your computer down like Fort Knox but it will provide passable protection, and at least keep the script kiddies out.

Anyone running 2000 or XP who do not need to use file sharing should disable the 'Server' service as well.

As far as HW firewall/routers go, go for the Linksys line. They are very, very well done devices and relatively easy to use.

WWB

Originally posted by Gyrene:

Dw, what you need to do is forward port # 7023 to the internal IP of whatever computer you play CM in, this is accomplished via the SUA/NAT function of your router.

Gyrene

Gyrene, I have read over the release notes and operating instructions for the Cisco device in question, and am still baffled. Cisco instructions assume a level of expertise or familiarity with their OS that I do not have.

If you have the ability to give me straight forward direction on how to to work these commands please drop me an e-mail to lkerry3@qwest.net

Thanks.