Another CMBB Demo Opinion - Hello

kump

First of all, I think the demo gave me just enough to give me a flavor of the new graphics for units and terrain. It also gave me an intro to the new commands. It may have been better served by including a “Meeting” engagement, but over all, it serves its purpose well.

The way I feel about the graphics is, well, great job. Yes, its not the next generation (CMII), but its a big step up from CMBO. The attention to detail and the new 3D shapes is just fantastic. I’m back to drooling over the vehicles like I was when CMBO first came out.

But what really blows my mind? CMBB is just enormous compared to CMBO in range of units and amount of bmp’s. The number of vehicles (300+) and the incredible number of additional units (600+) puts me in a state of great anticipation. I don’t think people realize just how much work this must have taken. Even without an engine rewrite, this was a monster of a job. And from what I’ve seen so far, a tremendously well done job.

Now the engine might be the same, but an incredible amount of work went into the new additions, both graphical and game play. The new graphical effects are a boon to CMBB and puts it beyond CMBO reach. The new muzzle flashes, moving trees to indicate wind strength, buildings that show level of damage, terrain doodads, new building floor graphics, bullet impacts around target, sparks when rounds hit tanks, better infantry graphics and models, different infantry graphics for trooper/platoon

hq/company-battalion hq, and a host of new terrain types.

So before someone attempts to throw the graphical look of CMBB at me as being dated, know that I believe your opinion is that of a raving lunatic. For myself, I’m simply in heaven. Go to view ‘1’ in “Citadel Schwerpunkt” and walk the steppes of Russia. It drips atmosphere for me and its something I won’t be able to get enough of for some time to come.

As for the new game play options, just who wouldn’t love that? From death clock, covered arcs, shoot and scoot, hull down, and, and all that other stuff. Its just one big bag of CM goodness.

I’ll be playing CMBB for the next several years, constantly. There is just nothing like it to be found anywhere. Finally, I have my East Front game as I have always wanted it. I won’t be just playing it, I’ll be living it.

They say, love it or leave it. I’m loving it, so I’m keeping it.

So I guess my opinion is leaning towards the positive smile.gif

I went back last weekend and played the tutorial scenario again as the Germans and kicked butt and knocked the two T34s out with the AT gun and beat back the advancing Russian infantry. I don’t remember what I got for a victory but I was happy and it was cool to watch the death clock in action.

I’m really looked forward to the final release of CMBB because I have a couple days off at the end of September and I got a long weekend scheduled for October. I won’t be doing much except experimenting with CMBB and if anyone wants to start a PBEM or TCP/IP battle while I’m on my long weekend let me know.

The tutorial scenario rocks! And I can’t wait for CMBB

I agree. The CMBB demo is very cool. The scenarios and the tutorial are good. I have this good feeling of the "atmosphere" in the Zitadel Schwerpunkt scenario too. I didn't think it was possible to recreate these particular battlefields. I was wrong. The tanks and guns graphics are wonderful. Great Job! Thank you BFC!

Originally posted by Xavier:

I have this good feeling of the "atmosphere" in the Zitadel Schwerpunkt scenario too. I didn't think it was possible to recreate these particular battlefields. I was wrong.

I like this scenario too for the reason you give. I think it captures the feeling of that battle very well, especially the sense of wide open spaces with Soviet AT strongpoints distributed in depth. It's an excellent example of the friction of war wearing down an attack and bringing it to a halt.

Besides, it's a lovely map. Good job, Steve.

smile.gif

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Xavier:

I have this good feeling of the "atmosphere" in the Zitadel Schwerpunkt scenario too. I didn't think it was possible to recreate these particular battlefields. I was wrong.

I like this scenario too for the reason you give. I think it captures the feeling of that battle very well, especially the sense of wide open spaces with Soviet AT strongpoints distributed in depth. It's an excellent example of the friction of war wearing down an attack and bringing it to a halt.

Besides, it's a lovely map. Good job, Steve.

smile.gif

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

What adjustments are you making in order to get a good challenge from it?

Too soon to ask me that. I haven't played it all the way through yet. ;)

Are you giving the AI a free set up, especially when playing the Germans? Also, you could try giving it a bonus, either in experience or numbers or both.

Michael

I freed the AI set-up on the Allied side twice out of the 3 times I've played it as the Axis.

POSSIBLE SPOILER

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

The first time I played as the Axis, just got a draw. But once you get the hang of moving the tanks properly in overwatch it's no problem. It's so very easy to ambush the AI that playing as the Allied side is just shooting ducks in barrel. I think you must have to increase the force and the experience level quite a bit to get this one to be challenging after playing it one time.

The first time I played it though and all those little pop guns and light ATGs opening up... wow!