Something Other than Carell

ok... from what i know carell was more than anything a propagandist.

i liked the style of writing though; the way the actions were described; the company and battalion-level narrative.

please recommend some more accurate authors who cover the war in the east but on the same, company/battalion levels.

thanks in advance,

andy

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

please recommend some more accurate authors who cover the war in the east but on the same, company/battalion levels.

Budding CMBB Scenario designer, anyone? ;)

Actually i would be interested in any such books as well ;)

Bidermann 'In deadly combat', personal memoir of At gunner who was promoted to battalion commander in a German ID.

CMH Publication: 'Small Unit Actions in the Russo-German War' postwar study done by German officers for the US army.

Metelmann 'Through Hell for Hitler', personal memoir of AT gunner serving in a Panzerdivision.

Fleischer (ed.) 'Combat History of Sturmgeschuetzbrigade 276', what it says on the tin

I saw 'Small Unit Actions in the Russo-German War' is a free publication. Do you know if we can get it from internet?

I read some articles, refered to pioneer operations, in a site about german engineers. How about the whole book?

Originally posted by Mostro:

I saw 'Small Unit Actions in the Russo-German War' is a free publication. Do you know if we can get it from internet?

I read some articles, refered to pioneer operations, in a site about german engineers. How about the whole book?

Mostro, AFAIK Small Unit Actions is currently not in print, and can not be DL'd from CMH. Which is a shame. I maybe wrong though.

Don't know what you mean with the engineers - if you supply an URL I may understand. I am currently waiting for the postman to deliver three books, the histories of 1. and 7. PD and a book about German engineers that maybe the one you are referring to. But they are all in German.

Some good publishrs of this stuff:

www.helion.co.uk (expensive though)

Schiffer Military Publishing (their translations of original German works sometimes appear to be a bit of a hatchet job to me though)

Greenhill Books

Angelray books

They all have websites you can find with Google.

Good stuff from the Soviet perspective with these sorts of accounts:

Russian Battlefield

Loza, D 'Commanding the Red Armies Sherman Tanks' (or somefink) - you can get that at Helion I believe)

Not as much extant from that perspective in English I am afraid. If you get Duffy 'Red Storm on the Reich', he has a huge literature list in the back, some of that maybe useful. He also goes down to company level, although his focus is operational.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Mostro, AFAIK Small Unit Actions is currently not in print, and can not be DL'd from CMH. Which is a shame. I maybe wrong though.

New name and new publisher (color maps this time)

Now, I paid $10 for the original, and these guys want $60! I consider it a must have book, but $60 is a bit steep. The changes they have made sound good, but not THAT good. Here's the description...

This book is a completely new addition of the classic U.S. Army publication "Small Unit Actions During the Campaign in Russia." The text has been edited to make it more readable to the modern military historian, but nothing has been omitted. In addition, footnotes and comments have been added to clarify the nomenclature of the period. All technical terms are fully explained, as are Russian and German military terms. All equipment is detailed. All units are linked to their parent formations, and brief histories are provided. The maps have been re-lettered and the tactical symbols have been rendered appropriately in blue and red to clarify the originals, which were in black and white. Terrain features such as water courses, roads, towns, and rail lines have also been clearly labeled. The book is valuable to all military historians of the period because it deals in detail with the Battle of Stalingrad, fighting in cold weather conditions, and special operations which have not been examined in any detail in any other publication. Published as a two-volume set so that the maps are available to the reader as they go through the text.

[ March 22, 2002, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]