Graphics aside is CMBB actually a better game than CMBO

Hey

I was wondering if you kind people of the CMBO forum could answer a couple of questions for me, if you have the time.

Apart from the graphics being better (as I've seen from screenshots) is CMBB actually a better/more interesting game to play? For example, is it more difficult/challenging? and is how the game is set out much different?

I was just wondering if it worth a future investment or should I just wait for CMAK?

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT (ALTHOUGH I'M SURE MOST PEOPLE MUST HAVE PLAYED THIS SCN)

My other question is on the demo the scn Brief Encounter, I am finding it impossible to win as the Germans on normal settings. I set up my assault guns with good fields of fire on my side of the hill just waiting for the enemy's tanks to come into my field of fire (is that the right phrase?). I send infantry (with half team scouts ahead) into the woods and some towards the church area.

The Americans with 2 or more sherms just storm over the hill or come round the junction or up to the on another hill.... and blast my StuGs barely before they can get a shot off. The rest of the battle then just consists of those darned Americans just blasting my men to hell with HE from a safe distance. :mad:

I'm fairly sure this scenario is in the full game, so any tips? am I doing something stupidly wrong?

Thanks to any answers to either question

Tom

I played Brief Encounter demo many times before I finally got the actual game, and it drove me nuts playing the Germans, lost every time. Until I tried certain tactics.

Possible Spoiler alert:

As I recall, I pulled my stugs into the woods behind the wooded ridge as far as I could place them. The bulk of my infantry, especially the panzerfaust & SMG guys I sent racing past the left of the village into the woods beyond the village. If they made it that far, the SMGs would take care of American infantry entering the woods, and the panzerfausts usually managed to pick off the shermans as they approached. Sometimes the AI would have the Shermans so intent on knocking out the panzerfausts I could sneak in the stugs from behind the ridge and take them in the rear. Try it.

Ah, I forgot to reply to your first question. Yes, CMBB is worth it. It is more complex and challenging, what with shoot & scoot orders, human waves & such, but also it's a hoot experimenting with the full range of late Soviet & German hardware. It's also very cool to create Finnish/Soviet scenarios, and I get a big kick out pitting Italian tankettes against Soviet armour.

In short, CMBB is more of the same, only better.

To me the sensible thing is to own CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK! After that I hope they do a CMPW (Pacific War)!

The only catch is, be sure your computer can handle them all. My computer handles the extended version of CMBO, but the CMBB only to the extant of small battles. Still, worth every penny.

CMBB vs CMBO........I cut my teeth on CMBB before I got CMBO. After "modding" CMBO it looks just as good as CMBB.

Which is better?......sorry..I can't live without either one!

Play your CMBO.....mess with the mods...learn the game..ect. When you want to move to the East Front...get CMBB. :D

CMBB is more "refined" with more options....but you have to have both!

[ August 09, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]

I agree 100%. I've had both for a while now, and I play them both all the time. After modding my CMBO it looks great!

Enjoy them both...I wonder though, with the West Front possible with CMAK will CMBO survive after that?

Originally posted by Panzertruppe:

CMBB vs CMBO........I cut my teeth on CMBB before I got CMBO. After "modding" CMBO it looks just as good as CMBB.

Which is better?......sorry..I can't live without either one!

Play your CMBO.....mess with the mods...learn the game..ect. When you want to move to the East Front...get CMBB. :D

CMBB is more "refined" with more options....but you have to have both!

I like both. If I want to play western front I will play CMBO, if I want to play eastern front I play CMBB, and if I want to play Africa/Mediterranian I play CMAK. Simple as that. One of the reasons why the CM series is so easy to get into, whatever front you are interested go out and buy it.

There are a few graphics improvements in CMBB that no amount of modding will get you in CMBO:

1. Most of the 3D models have more polygons, so the actual shape is a bit more accurat.

2. Bullets actually kick up dust. Very Cool.

3. Trees sway in the wind.

4. Faces have noses.

6. Doodads! - basically little objects like bushes and rocks that give terrain more relief adn 3D 'feel'.

And there are many more. . . Most of these are subtle, though, and I agree that in general a well modded CMBO looks pretty darn good, even when put up against CMBB.

The most important changes in the CMBB are the actual modeling updates. While it's still basically the same engine, some of the changes require pretty substantial changes to playing style, IMHO realistically so:

1) MGs and the firepower/suppression modeling is radically reworked. You will find infantry a lot more 'brittle' in terms of willingness to move under fire in CMBB.

2) Radio (and lack thereof) and 'command' modeling for AFV platoons. A royal pain in the ass (but a realistic one) for early-war Russians.

3) Morale modeling for AFV crews - you can actually take out an AFV by hitting it so many times the crew panics and bails out.

4) "Extreme" Fog of War - IMHO the only way to play. It's a LOT harder to spot certain enemy units in CMBB, MGs at range being one of the prime examples

5) Substantially reworked Artillery modeling, with MPI displacement for out of LOS barrages, 'prep' barrages, both wire and radio spotters etc.

And more. . . both are good games. I rarely play CMBO now because there's so much fun to be had with CMBB, but the former is still a great game and I'm looking even more forward to getting to play as Yanks again in CMAK with an even more 'tweaked' engine.

Cheers,

YD

For the casual player I like CMBO best. I can win a few with CMBO, but not many with CMBB.

When modded it looks a lot better. When you first see the hexagonal muzzle flashes etc it looks pretty bad, but mods like Juju's explosions soon fix that.

I would say start with CMBO if you do not have a lot of time to play the game. It will reduce frustration.

Cheers

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

I tried the Chance Encounter as you said The Graeme and it worked fairly well, got all but 1 of the sherms and lots of US troops before I lost my StuGs . Then that last sherm just did as usual retreated and wasted me without reply as I didn't have enough men to try to sneak up on its flank with 'shreks/fausts. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for the replies, I guess I'll just cut my teeth on fully modded CMBO and then investigate CMBB, as it sounds pretty damn good.

Ta

Tom