Question, how the arty spotters are so easy to identify?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

I do agree that sometimes they seem to be identified a bit easy; in general they could be identified due to the FO teams' scissor binos and their radio equipment incl. antennae. That's the only explanation I can offer.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]<hr></blockquote>

That's a good point. I know that if I happen to see the enemy arty spotter in the field, I immediately target him. I hate it when he drops 88's all over my head.

Another mystery to me is how quickly sharpshooters are taken out. I can have a large group of men moving across a map with maybe one sharpshooter in their midst and the next thing I know, the sharpie's bought the farm. Do they have targets painted on their jackets?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

That's a good point. I know that if I happen to see the enemy arty spotter in the field, I immediately target him. I hate it when he drops 88's all over my head.<hr></blockquote>

No need to get worried here. In CM you will NEVER find an FO directing 88mm fire at you...

With spotters, be very careful in bringing them forward.

The way that you do that is have the FO move or run from the rear of cover (buildings [heavy are better] & woods [heavy & tall pines are better]) toward the enemy side of the cover. When they get within within 15 to 20 meters of the enemy side of the cover, have them crawl forward to near the cover's edge. Also, have the cover more than about 100 meters of the nearest enemy infantry.

If you do the above, spotters should have little problem remaining unspotted by the enemy. In fact, on occasion in big, nasty firefights, my FOs have remained unspotted (or at least not shot at) within 50 meters of the enemy. :eek: :eek:

Also keep in mind that vet & better troops can discern enemy troop types much better than their less experienced bretheren.

Indeed, I never have problems with my spotters (& I just love lots & lots of big arty used like a scalple) unless I violate my above directions. redface.gif

Cheers, Richard :D:D :cool: :cool:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ParaBellum:

No need to get worried here. In CM you will NEVER find an FO directing 88mm fire at you...<hr></blockquote>

Technically speaking a 25prd is 88mm. Or was it 85mm.... ;)

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: tero ]</p>

Troop quality makes a HUGE difference in ID'ing units, spotters and otherwise. If you're getting ID'ed (and obviously targetted) a lot, you're probably playing against vets or cracks. Elites are ridiculously good at spotting everything from FOs to minefields.

-marc