Animations of infantry

Msv

Im played the demo, and i think most of it seems to be very good. Except one thing, the animations of the soldiers, (the infantry). Most of it is terrible. Why couldnt it be improved, i mean the vehicles is great. its also hard to see if you hit.

/Msv

Welcome to the board.

It´s basically a limitation due to the game engine being developed quite some time ago. There will be no change to that until the program code is rewritten for the next game.

I´d say don´t let this prevent you from getting the full game. Once CM has dragged you in, you won´t care about it anymore.

I know what I´m talking about as I did not buy CMBO before i´d seen it with modded graphics. One of the more stupid decisions in my life. I would have loved it without them too.

Cheers

Nolloff

[ November 04, 2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

Another aspect: the "soldiers" you see, are only a symbolic representation of what's going on on the battlefield.

Means not every single soldier is displayed (it's more of a tactical combat-simulation than a game) and the special effects of wounded or dying soldiers isn't a target of the game.

It deals with WWII tactics and all the information you ned for decisions on tactical level, is showed by the game.

Maybe the engine rewrite will add even more optical gimmicks, but for tactical wargaming this isn't necessary (nevertheless, more eye candy would be nice ;) )

[ November 04, 2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]

I understand what he's saying as I only played the demo for the first time yesterday. But if I can give my 2 cents I am definitely buying the game. It's just too damn good to pass up. The PBEM option sounds awesome and the game is just so tactically accurate and challenging I want more. I love the variery of manuevers and weapons and the fact that you can "Mod" things - although I have yet to venture into this aspect of the game. I can't wait to play my first human opponent, as that will be my main type of play once I get the game.

BUY IT!

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

I love the variery of manuevers and weapons and the fact that you can "Mod" things - although I have yet to venture into this aspect of the game.

Even though you have the just the demo, you can still download the MODs for the T34, KV1, and Axis Heer/SS Infantry. The MODs simply make the already impressive graphics even better. Here's the URL if you need it, CM Mod DB

Heh heh.

I can't miss out on posting to any animation threads.

I'm an animator in real life and I too balked at first seeing the infantry animations.

They are essentailly just animation done by the computer using linear operations between poses.

There is no "ease-in, or ease-out" apparent in any of the animation.

That being said, they DO convey ALL the information you need to know. And they do that fine. I no longer have any problem with the animation and love it for the abstraction that it is.

I think that more detailed and realistic animations might even not fit in with the current game. They wouldn't look right.

It's like my animation teachers always said . . . "you can have the most beautifully rendered animation in a movie, but if the story sucks no one is going to wanna watch it. Conversely, if the story is freakin' fantastic, your animation can be "southpark" style for all the audience cares."

(Or words that that effect.)

smile.gif

Anyways, I'd LOVE to animate for BFC and thier upcoming engine rewrite. That's be a supreme pleasure!

smile.gif

Gpig