FOW problem (death clock)

Played a scenario yesterday and I noticed that at the beginning of the action phase of a certain turn a victory flag that had been displayed as neutral before suddenly turned russian (I was playing the Germans). I had not spotted anything in this area before, but during the turn I spotted a MG bunker under the flag.

Now, this isn't really a problem because I can't give any orders during the action phase anyway. It just tells me where to look.

But, a few turns later I moved a tank into position to deal with the bunker. My tank fired at the bunker for one turn, got a few non-penetrating hits and one firing slit penetration halfway through the turn. Obviously the death clock kicked in at that moment, because the bunker was still shown as alive, but the flag on top of it turned neutral again. (Also already at the beginning of the action phase)

To be sure, I canceled the tanks target order, and, as I had already suspected, some time into the next turn the bunker was shown as knocked out. The flag turning neutral again had given away the death of the bunker sooner than planned.

So, to preserve the FOW, vehicles in the state of "bailing out" (during the death clock period) should still count towards the apparent control of flags, at least for the enemy.

Dschugaschwili

Addendum:

It seems that bailing out tanks sometimes don't cause hunting tanks to stop and engage.

In a game I played yesterday a StuG of mine got a penetration against an enemy T34, switched target to another T34 and destroyed it (burning). I had given the StuG a hunt order so it would drive forward as soon as all visible targets were destroyed, and it started driving after destroying the second T34 although the first one was still in plain sight and not yet shown as abandoned. A second StuG standing next to the first one ahowed the same behaviour.

Dschugaschwili

[edit] This effect only occurs very infrequently. I have not been able to consistently reproduce it. [/edit]

[ November 11, 2002, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Dschugaschwili ]

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

Addendum:

It seems that bailing out tanks don't cause hunting tanks to stop and engage.

In a game I played yesterday a StuG of mine got a penetration against an enemy T34, switched target to another T34 and destroyed it (burning). I had given the StuG a hunt order so it would drive forward as soon as all visible targets were destroyed, and it started driving after destroying the second T34 although the first one was still in plain sight and not yet shown as abandoned. A second StuG standing next to the first one ahowed the same behaviour.

Dschugaschwili

That is a good (interesting :confused: ) observation.

anyone else notice this.

I have not looked for it, but I have not noticed that behaviour.

Is BFC looking at it or testing it?

is it reproducable?

Does it have to do with something that was stated previously that larger caliber rounds are assumed by the tank crew to lead to k-kills if they "see" them penetrate EVEN if the death clock is counting on the tank?? Somewhere I read something the German crews that fired the 88 mm and the 75 mm on the Panther somehow "know" that if they get a penetration they can switch targets because of the energy delivered by the high velocity large round??

which they somehow know is a KILL...(maybe?) This means that it may affect the hunt command. This also suggests that the low caliber rounds that penetrate with no result may have a different affect on the hunt command as well, implying that even after a penetration the hunting tank "may" stay and not move on and keep pumping in the smaller rounds until they are sure the tank is really dead?? :confused:

GOOD observation!

-tom w

[ November 08, 2002, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

I agree that this seems to be generally true, but 2 days ago I had a tiger get taken out and they were bailing for 2 whole turns after they took the fatal hit. I was a little surprised when the AT guns kept plinking away at monster, so perhaps AT guns might work differently than tanks/sp in this instance.