My salute to Fionn.

My first exposure to Fionn was back before CM was released. This is, in fact, the first forum I ever visited, the first I ever registered at. Almost at once Fionn stood out. Obnoxious, insulting, haughty, combative, rude. (Not as much as Madmatt but nearly so.) I thought the guy was a jerk and was glad to see him banned. Now he is restored to the board and I can see what led him to that state of affairs. He figures again prominantly in many threads. Some are decidedly provocative, almost taunting. Even if it is all in good fun I can see how it might chafe against his patience, and his temper. I can understand a little better now why he might have snapped back at some perceived slight. Fionn, I may have misjudged you. My apologies.

[ June 01, 2002, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: RCHRD ]

Damn Fionn, get your own webpage already, I think you broke the "how many times is my name in the title of a thread" record. I mean you have to be challenging the likes of "PENG CHALLENGE" and "BTS FIX IT OR SOMEFINK" for subjects in a title. Being a celebrity and all aren't you worried about overexposure! smile.gifsmile.gif

RCHRD,

Accepted. In any case what went on publicly was only the VERY tip of the iceberg. I was reacting publicly to what was going on behind the scenes. My reactions were seen, their causes weren't. That led to a lot of misunderstanding.

OTOH I truly don't want this forum to become a place where I feature unduly.

1. It is NOT good for the game.

2. It is NOT good for the development of the forum.

3. It is NOT good for me. Believe me it just makes me more of a target for the types who make the "provocative" posts ;) you refer to.

With that said...

4. I also think it is VERY important to state that I was banned for a reason. That reason was that I was behaving improperly. Were there very good reasons for that behaviour which virtually none of you know about? Yes. Was it still wrong irrespective of those reasons? Yes.

So I just want to restate that I know I did wrong and ALL I want from anyone is a second chance.

5. As re: the taunts or the "you don't know jack" posts ( as I like to call them ;) ). I knew what I was signing on for when I came back. I knew those sorts of posts would feature. I hope the good will outweight the bad

Thanks for your post. I appreciate it greatly.

[ June 01, 2002, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Fionn ]

((Randomly butting in. It's late, I'm bored))

Don't know Fionn other than the fact that he is a CM Celebrity. But, his post sounds a bit repentant for some past behavior. Wellllll, I just happen to have the PERFECT solution for him to truly show his repentance, get in with the new crowd, and come away with a clean slate. Use or ignore at your leisure:

Fionn, to repent for the sins of the CM Forum of yore, must, for an alloted time period (say one week for instance), ACCEPT AND PLAY ANY AND ALL CHALLENGES HE RECIEVES.

Heh heh, I think 60 new games of CM in a one week period ought to cleanse the soul of any man.

I find it all rather amusing too ;)

Fionn and Peng, the struggle between good and evil ;)

I just don't know which one is which yet ;)

Honestley though, i don't understand what the big thing is with Fionn? Anyone care to enlighten me?

He's proved to be a good tactician, is/was a CM tester and has a set of force selection guidelines.

What's with all the Fionn this and Fionn that? Why is he so special and attracts so much attention?

I really would like to hear the answers to these questions.

Stix

Cult of personality, Stixx. Every crowd has it. Besides, who else ya gonna elevate to cult status? Enigmatic Charles? Sassy SuperTed? Boy Next Door KwazyDog? Bouncer Madmatt?

Nah.

The reclusive Mr Peng?

Nah again.

God forbid - some grog?

Don't even think about it.

As for explaining the Fionn Fenomenon...it is a reputation for being one of the leading players of CM (meaning quality, not quantity (sorry Panzer Leader!) - I am talking top 1 percentile, as well as the aforementioned rules, and apparently a tantrum on the forum that made the worst of Hitler's carpet-chewing blood-curdling knock-down drag-out Bunker tirades look like a poetry recital.