Bunkers from HELL!!

I'm in the middle of a battle with a bunch of pill boxes mixed with AT guns and MGs. I started off by throwing down a whole bunch of smoke to mask my approach but usually run out of smoke before I can get to the pill boxes and get ripped to shreds. I try to advance my shermans up to take some shots at them but they get kicked to sleep in a matter of minutes. I am seeking a good tactic when faced with numerous bunkers that arent grouped in the same area but have line of sight to most of my units. :confused:

Try smoking the AT pillboxes and trying to eliminate the MG ones with your tanks. Adjust the fire on your smoke to make it last longer as well. You could also split up your infantry and try to advance/draw fire from the AT pillboxes. Check your cover as well and see if you can block the LOS of a certain AT pillbox while in cover using tank smoke, using that gap in the defense to advance your tanks/infantry to the next spot of cover.

Looks like you have a long chess game ahead of you. Just remember that a box doesnt need to be smoked forever, just while your guys are moving. When they're not moving, ideally they should be out of sight.

If you suspect you are likely to face 75mm bunkers in a QB try using Jumbo Shermans or Churchills, they should be able to shrug off 75mm fire frontally and will get a kill on the bunker within a couple of turns. I haven't tried them on 88mm bunkers if you are far enough away even they might not be able to penetrate your heavies.

Use light fast armour e.g. Stuarts, daimlers etc. Preferably more than one spaced apart widely. Move them into and out of cover while firing at the bunkers. I have found (to my cost) that the guns keep tracking from target to target never actually getting to fire. The light guns have heaps of ammo and a very high ROF and so tend to get hits more quickly. Believe it or not I learned this on the recieving end from the AI. The sodding things blew both my bunkers away before they managed to kill anything other than a HT. Mixing in a bit of smoke here and there so that you need only deal with one at a time is quite effective. Use 105mm (direct fire not arty) smoke if possible as it usually prevents the Pillbox from being able to fire with 1 - 2 shots and it lasts a long time.