Those Swingin' Soviets

It typically takes me at least 20-30 minutes to plot a PBEM turn's worth of moves, and the endless noise of rumbling tanks got old quickly... It didn't take much effort to find a soundtrack appropriate to the war years, but Glenn Miller and Billie Holiday just aren't going to work when I'm defending the Rodina.

So far I haven't had much luck finding CDs (or LPs, for that matter) of Soviet music, but I did find "Soviet Patriotic Music" on the Web. Free mp3 downloads, including several WW2-era and pre-war songs. Unfortunately, all the "File I" links I tried appeared to be broken, and the "File II" links were a bit dodgy -- it's a Russian server, and the boiler pressure is no doubt running low... Be sure to check out page 2, as well.

I expect I'm a minority of one on this, but I'd be perfectly willing to pay upwards of $100 for an expanded DVD release of CM2 (that's the "new engine" game, not CMBB...) that included a period soundtrack for all the nationalities represented in the game. It would be wonderful to hear a tinny, scratchy recording of The Internationale playing under (or a clean, crisp version playing instead of) the game's sound effects as I contemplated the defense of Stalingrad, though I expect it would inevitably lead to the introduction of the Gramophone unit and ensuing arguments over just how strong its morale effects should be and whether it's gamey to use a slow, but highly valuable Gramophone to draw out enemy troops and why can't Gramophones run, anyway?

But that's neither here nor there. If anyone can contribute any suggestions for a Soviet period soundtrack, I'd be grateful. It is a trivial thing, I admit, but wartime music helps get me -- dare I say -- in the mood.

You are quite right specs. I would pay highly for that as well.

BTS could even sell this stuff in their "library" section if they wanted to keep it separate from the game.

Thanks for the link too! I should be finished downloading all this stuff by, well lets see... about the Time CM4- The Early War comes out :D