Question for CM veterans

Greetings.

My name is Storm Binder and I've been lurking in these forums for quite a long time. Although I've never posted here I have to say that the people around CM seem to be much more mature and intelligent that in any other game crowd that I've seen so far. Probably it has something to do with the heavy historical theme of the game, as well as the status of underdog and diamond-in-the-row that CMBO so rightfully enjoyed. ;)

Anyway I've received CMBB about a week ago and the excellent quality of this game forced my to break my silence. smile.gif I've played about half-dozen scenarios and while it's ton of fun to play against new improved AI , I am sure that playing against good human opponents should be even better.

Therefore here are my questions:

Are there any multiplayer CMBO/BB Guild or League - to allow people quickly find opponents from guild memebers who are online? Are there any official or non-official ladder system? Are there any tourments around? And what is the best way to find good opponents to play this great game against?

P.S. Few words about myself - I've played CMBO a lot against AI with 50% bonus troops. Still since I have no MP experiencce in this game I'll probably get my butt kicked first few times if I meet really tough combat veteran in battle. smile.gif However I learn very fast and I really enjoy playing with strong opponents - and will do my best to give them a run for their money. ;) So if somebody would like to play MP game with me let me know and we'll set it up.

[ October 01, 2002, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Storm Binder ]

Guest Sgt. Emren
I have to say that the people around CM seem to be much more mature and intelligent that in any other game crowd that I've seen so far
I dare to presume that you haven't read any Peng threads? ;)

Hi Storm Binder,

check out www.theblitz.org

Detailed statistics from each player let you choose appropriate opponents with levels similar to your's.

Also a good balance of lots of Axis and Allied players let you, if you want so, play your favourite side only.

But be aware: playing against humans increases playing fun enormously (i know it sounds unbelievable, that CM playing-fun can be topped, but just try it out... smile.gif .

Hope to see you soon on the ladder.

[ October 01, 2002, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]

Storm Binder wrote:

I have to say that the people around CM seem to be much more mature and intelligent that in any other game crowd that I've seen so far.
That's on account of their all busy with the new CMBB. Wait a month then post an opinion. Doesn't matter about what, the color of the sky. Then step back and watch. :D

Here's a couple more ladders that weren't listed above:

Band of Brothers

Warfare HQ

[ October 01, 2002, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Thank you for your responses guys. Heh, this board is moving fast - I guess CMBB sales have very well so far - I hope they'll get enough money quickly to design CM2 into something groundbreaking - the way they did with CMBO when it come out. (Not that CMBB is not great -it is excellent but it is clearly an evolution , not a revolution - from the technical point of view.)

Ciks - thans for the info, bookmarked. About the game - I could play PBEM game I think, but it will probably take a very long time to finish, correct? Let's say 1 turn per day, 20 turns - it would take about 3 weeks to complete single game, right? I am curious - are people playing CM mostly by PBEM or IP games?

Sg. Emren - LOL, I saw a few treads about Peng. I think I saw first one more than a year ago. I think they are some kind of in-house joke, right? ;)

To everybody who responded with links and tips - thanks a lot, I'll check all these sites.

Frankly I didn't expected to be so many guilds a ladders. smile.gif The divesity is a good sign, but what is the best (most active, have best ladder rules, have most players) ladder out there? :confused:

Originally posted by Storm Binder:

Ciks - thans for the info, bookmarked. About the game - I could play PBEM game I think, but it will probably take a very long time to finish, correct? Let's say 1 turn per day, 20 turns - it would take about 3 weeks to complete single game, right?

Depends on your opponents (and you'll quickly have more than one).

Some get out a few turns a night, some one a night, some one a week.

Helps if they're in the same time zone if you want fast play.

But it is very convenient.

... My name is Storm Binder and I've been lurking in these forums for quite a long time. Although I've never posted here I have to say that the people around CM seem to be much more mature and intelligent that in any other game crowd that I've seen so far. ...

This is only a missunderstanding. All members on this board living in assylums all over the world. We are always under high doses of tranqillizers, and beside that we only sound so cool cause we fear the electroshock therapy if we have..well...our little attacks...you know.. ;)

If you search a ladder, then don't miss www.warfarehq.com

[ October 01, 2002, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Scipio ]

I don't know other ladders, but at The Blitz every player has an availability-setting.

Because i only have modem and i need long for answering turns, i only play PBEM.

During my first game, it hardly could wait for the opponents next turn, but soon i discovered it as a good long-time motivation and a good education for becoming more patient.

The quite slow turn rate has IMO another good effect: i'm watching the action-scenes with much more attention, usually observing different units at zoom-level 1 first, 'cause it has no influence if i answer the turn ten minutes earlier or later.

So PBEM lead me to enjoy the action-scenes even more and it's happening quite often, that i'm really shakened by a loud impact on the unit im observing at zoom level 1, 'cause i have no idea what will really happen. smile.gif

When playing against AI i usually watch with a good overview (level 3 or 4) first and only if something spectacular happens, i'm watching the replay again in more detail, always in mind to hurry up, 'cause i can't wait to see how the battle will develop.

btw: you can play as many simultaneous PBEM games as you your time allows and as you can handle. smile.gif

[ October 01, 2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]

Ciks - thans for the info, bookmarked. About the game - I could play PBEM game I think, but it will probably take a very long time to finish, correct? Let's say 1 turn per day, 20 turns - it would take about 3 weeks to complete single game, right? I am curious - are people playing CM mostly by PBEM or IP games?

I play almost only PBEMs, and yes they take a long time. Usually it's not even one turn per day, but one file per day (depends on player's timezones). We could play some small, short battle for starters.

Guest Sgt. Emren
...threads about Peng. I think I saw first one more than a year ago. I think they are some kind of in-house joke, right
I don't really know. They seem to be free-for-all taunting, which may or may not revolve around PBEM games of CM. Mostly, I feel sorry for these people...they seem to have too much time on their hands!!! smile.gif