Tanks and snow?

Hi,

I have been playing some battles in snow and have bene thinking about one thing.

Would it be possible to have it so that it would look like there is actually snow in ground? Currently when there is snow it just means that there is 1cm in ground making it white, but still tanks float on it.

Now when there are 3D effects for fields, steppe and other stuff could there be similiar system for snow? Little thing but it would make things look much better if tanks and infantry would not just float on snow...

Actually I think it might be possible with current engine. If you look at bogged vehicles you will notice that they are sunk into the surface of the terrain a bit, hiding the bottom of the tracks. So they must have come up with some coding mechanism for this. Perhaps it could be turned 'on' all the time for deep snow maps? Yep it would look cool I think. They could do it for 'deep mud' weather too.

Not so sure about the infantry models though...they might just end up looking like little legless men stumping along...

Ren

Originally posted by Lumbergh:

I am sure that someone with more experience will stop by this thread shortly and explain this in excruciating detail, but no, I don't think this is possible under the current engine.

How about adding new 3D model for snow, like for steppe or field. Of course it would not be perfect solution but it would be quite easy (code is already in there) and would make it look nicer. Of course from looking close you could see that this snow is not perfect but from far away it would look like they are not floating on snow.

Perfect solution would of course be to make snow so that raise terrain little and draw vehicles like they were bogged all the time, but that would propanly require more changes..

Originally posted by Renaud:

Actually I think it might be possible with current engine. If you look at bogged vehicles you will notice that they are sunk into the surface of the terrain a bit, hiding the bottom of the tracks.

See, they showed up and even came up with a new suggestion! I think that would look great...as for the legless infantry, well, that's how I feel when walking through deep snow.