Hi, newbie here...

There doesn't really seem to be an introduce yourself forum here....

Well, i got the demo a few months ago and dismissed it, i only actually played it once (hahaha...stupid short-attention span..)

Well, i went back to try the demo of combat mission after i read about combat mission 2 in PC Gamer.

Lemme just say, i hate this game. Since the moment i downloaded the demo, it has eaten my every waking moment. I sit in school trying to figure out what to do with my poor panther in Valley of trouble...whether to move it up to the hill or sit in hiding in the trees...how to position my pillboxes...

I've tried both scenarios from each side, with each difficulty level set (ie from 200% to allies to 200% to axis, while on each side)

I cannot stop playing this game...i learn something new each and every time...I sent a rifle team on recon down into the valley once, and was unsuspectingly slaughtered when 2 mg42 teams opened up from each side...

I have to say first off to the makers of Combat Mission, amazing job. Why couldn't you include a mission with Canadians in the demo :D ?

I'm going to have to buy this game now, just to see what the canadian scenarios are like. I'm from Oshawa, Ontario, and my grandfather fought with the Queens Own all the way from the first wave on Nan beach to far over the Rhine. I find the level of detail and sheer greatness of this game, just from the demo, to rival that of any wargame i've played.

The excellent standards set in detail, and the step into 3d have made tis game more than just the next Close Combat.

I just wish you guys sold this game in stores too, because parents seem reluctant to give crdeit card numbers over the internet :(

Well, i'm betting a few of you have the game there, what am i missing right now?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albow:

Well, i'm betting a few of you have the game there, what am i missing right now?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

seeing the nuclear mushroon...i mean, the house explosion graphic.

seeing two tanks open fire at the same time and take each other out.

the 50,000,000 canadian scenarios and mods out there.

a bunch of other stuff. check out my faq for some info.

oh btw, when u open the package, CAREFULLY open the manual. they did not forget the cd, so don't go tossing the manual at the wall or into a fire in anger or bending it in half or ranting and cursing like some other guys did. (well, not the fire thing, but wouldn't it be cool if someone did that?????)

Ha! I love newsradio! That is one of the funniest shows ever...i like the one where bill get's patched through the intercom in a wierd voice...

"MATTHEW!"

"Hahaha, nice try guys, but you've gotta wake up pretty ealry to fool this-"

"Matthew, what time is it?"

*checks watch, spills coffee all over self*

Ha! I love newsradio! That is one of the funniest shows ever...i like the one where bill get's patched through the intercom in a wierd voice...

"MATTHEW!"

"Hahaha, nice try guys, but you've gotta wake up pretty ealry to fool this-"

"Matthew, what time is it?"

*checks watch, spills coffee all over self*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cool! first time i met a newsradio fan here. smile.gif

Greetings, Albow, and welcome to our obsession. Hope you've got some power behind your computer because once you get the game, you'll need to go mod hunting. There's some outstanding work being done by a variety of mod makers out there.

Then there's play-by-e-mail. Then there's TCP/IP play. Then there's Operations. Then there's creating your own maps and scenarios. Then there's downloading a ton of quality work already available on a whole slew of Web sites.

You're joining this lunatic asylum at a good time, too. Get CM1, aka CMBO, aka Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord now because CM2, aka CMBB, aka Combat Mission: Barbarossa (Eastern Front) is getting close. So start saving your CDs for that one, too.

I haven't seen the CM Borg in a long while so I'll paraphrase, no that'll take too long, let me sum up:

Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated.

Happy hunting.

I just wish you guys sold this game in stores too, because parents seem reluctant to give crdeit card numbers over the internet :(

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's easy to fix. Get Dad hooked, too. Then tell him to get his own computer and you two can spend quality time together ... yeah, that's the ticket ... quality time. And it's all just in time for Christmas.

Actually, I believe there's more German mods out there over even the Commonwealth forces. Should be a close race though.

In my newbie days for CM, I've heard about the superior "uberpanzers" the Germans had. It's one thing to use your Tigers and Panthers in such a way. It's completely another when you crest the hill with your PzKpfw IV platoon thinking they're as bad@$$ as a platoon of Panthers. Next thing I knew I had 4 burning panzers...

Get Combat Mission. Plain and simple. If this doesn't pursuade you, well... I'm sure the Borg network over here will come into play... Then you too can lose sleep to a much, much greater degree than the demo!

Hi there Albow

[i'm from Oshawa, Ontario, and my grandfather fought with the Queens Own all the way from the first wave on Nan beach to far over the Rhine. /QUOTE]

Just so you know, there are at least a couple of Queen's Own riflemen playing this game and loving it. In fact, there is a game in the Canadian web site (mentioned above)that depicts A Company of the QOR landing on NAN beach. Not a fun game to watch (because it is a bit too real) but well worth playing.

Enjoy

...my grandfather fought with the Queens Own all the way from the first wave on Nan beach to far over the Rhine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has he shared his experiences with you? Many of us here love reading first-person accounts if you don't mind typing them.

(Oh yeah, and welcome.)