Simple question about mortar LOS

I've been playing for a bit but I'm fairly convinced I'm not using my mortars effectively.

I understand that if the mortar is in command of a leader unit, it can use the leader unit's LOS for targeting.

How do I check this?

IOW, when I try to assign a target to the mortar, will the line show that the target is in LOS even if it isn't to the mortar, but is to the nearby commander, or will it show No LOS but fire effectively anyway as long as the LOS line for the commander is green?

Does that make sense?

Any advice appreciated.

I understand that if the mortar is in command of a leader unit, it can use the leader unit's LOS for targeting.

How do I check this?

Run a LOS check from the HQ unit. Whatever he sees can be targetted by the mortars (assuming the target is within the mortar's min/max range)

IOW, when I try to assign a target to the mortar, will the line show that the target is in LOS even if it isn't to the mortar, but is to the nearby commander, or will it show No LOS but fire effectively anyway as long as the LOS line for the commander is green?

The target line will be yellow. This is because a mortar firing indirectly under HQ control can only use area fire.

If you have several mortars under command of one HQ, double-click *the HQ unit*, then have him target the mortars' target, and *everyone* will target that area, them simply un-target the HQ so he doesnt' give his position away by firing from his perch.

• 1 month later...

Hi

on this topic in one game I had a co unit in command range of 2 us 60 mm mortars - he had los to the target I wanted the mortars to fire at (a nice stack of sd 251 s close together) but for 3 moves while I tried this the mortars ammo count remained the same and no damage was done to the 1/2 tracks. Now I can understand that by move 3 the 251 s had got very close and the co might be suppressed but any ideas why this tactic didnt work - was he just a very unlucky commander : )