Rework of scenario for 1.03?

I am wondering if there is any rework on "A Walk in Paris". I am upset when 2 M10 are stuck in water.

Thanks in adv.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

(Spoiler?)

This happened to me too, only 1 was in a building, one was in the river and a jeep was in the river. Really spoiled my victory as the Germans when I realized the fr. didn't have all their reenforcements available. It also kept the reenforcements from advancing as I think they tried to keep within command distance of each other.

Juardis, I can't respond about the Paris scenario, but you should know me well enough to know if you write me about a problem in a scenario we'll TRY to fix it.

It's fine that you posted it here. I have no problem with that. I wish you had notified me earlier. I'll take a look and see how I can fix that up. Got any details? Where on the map did you see this? Map edge, Nijmegen proper? Reinforcements? Starting units?

Give me some feedback and I'll see what I can do. Post it here if you wish. No problem. Just let me know so I can remedy it for you and others. Thanks for letting us know...Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

When you see a problem with a scenario, fellas, write the author if you can. Go directly to the source.

Not all of them come here and it would be an issue that the scenario designer himself would have to address.

Of course, if his E-Mail address is not in the text file (It should be, at the bottom), then you have no recourse but to hope that he will see it here.

I refer to scenarios on the CD. Other outside scenarios are another matter. I don't know how you would handle that. You should be able to find his address to write him.

Lest I be misrepresented, I am NOT saying that topics on the scenarios should not be posted here. They should, by all means.

But if you find a bug or a problem that the designer could correct, make sure he knows about it. I personally would appreciate it. I think the others would too. We want to make them as right as the game allows.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Hello Griffin, Dick, Bill,

I am Joel Montagu, the author of the Paris scenario.

I was informed of this problem today through an email of someone who had played this scenario three times in Version 1.01 without problem (and apparently with some fun, since he played it a fourth time!), and at the fourth play, with version 1.03, his French reinforcements appeared all over the map, including enemy areas and courtyards surrounded by buildings.

I checked the scenario in the editor, the reinforcements markers are still in the right place, on the map edges, where they were during testing.

I do not understand how it can be scenario-related since, before release, "A walk in Paris" was tested by two different people, then played by email by Steve and Fionn, and no one reported any problem with the reinforcements. But maybe I miss something... wink.gif

I'm afraid I have no immediate solution for this, I will investigate further.

Bill, if other scenarios are concerned, the new algorithm for the reinforcements in V1.03 may be the cause... I will inform Charles about that.

I will let you know as soon as we find a solution.

Thank you for letting us know,

Joel

I think that is a definite yes for 1.03 causing problems. I went to 103 with a scenario under design and found placement running differently from before. Since it had been tweeked for the earlier state of affairs, the new placements were not welcome. That the current play test is going against the somewhat human player is no fault of that placement difficulty however. Damn. I ended up with a bunch of assault boats rather more high and dry on the highway instead of being dropped neatly near the water. They had to be hauled across some brush tiles. Another location where less highway sat nearby had no problem.

Since the upgrade squashed out the cracks between wooded tiles, I am not too sure I am alltogether thrilled about that. I found the little paths kinda nice. I would like the choice of manipulating such matters in the design process. Solid woods vs cracked woods. It still can be done but not as satisfactorily. I remember when the paths went in and how Steve and Charles thought they were neat. I still do. However, I can see a place for solid woods. A crack every 20 meters is just a little dense on openings in some places.

Hello Joel,

Thanks for your reply. First I have to appreciate how much fun it is to play with your work. I manage to run a big (8+) Sherman parade down the road even I get a minor victory in the end.

The problem was also reported somewhere about the 1.03 patch on the "Combat Missions" forum. Sorry but I forget who posted it first. I definitely think it is due to patch 1.03. Take your time to fix it. It has a lot of fun play around with it and I think it is my most favourite street-fighgting scenario so far.

Regards,

Griffin @ work.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

I've mailed Charles a scenario in which

1. The reinforcements do not appear at the set entry point.

2. The AI NEVER used the reinforcement tanks during the whole scenario (experienced in a couple of scenarios).

Both bugs were "invented" with 1.03, and they seem to have the same cause.

Needless to say, that these inconsistencies spoil a lot of scenarios vs. the AI frown.gif

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

("L'Elle River Crossing" SPOILER below)

I played "L'Elle River Crossing" as Allies under 1.03, and scored a draw against the AI. Towards the end of the scenario, I had units in the town directly uphill from the bridge.

When the game was over, I took a look at the map (which I usually don't do) and saw that the AI had almost a full company of fresh infantry (fallschirms?) in the woods near the town and the victory flag I had taken. These troops were in good morale, had taken no losses and had expended no ammo.

Is it possible that this company was the AI's reinforcements, and that it simply never made use of them? (If it had used them, they could easily have forced me off my flag). If so, this would seem to be related to the problem Fred mentions above.

Paul "Martyr" Roberts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TOBRUK:

So....

What's the word on the battlefront? Does anyone know if this v1.03 problem is being addressed?

T-

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This problem has been reported to Charles, but right now he seems to have his hands rather full with TCP/IP coding, and I don't know if he will address this problem before completing TCP/IP.

Cheers,

Joel

As this is a major bug (and spoils most of the scenarios vs. the AI), I guess it will be addressed real soon.

Right now, only play scenarios in which the AI does not get any reinforcements.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

Joel,

You mention that Charles has his hands full with TCP/IP. Is this an estimate, or did he tell you so? I only ask because I want to know how serious BTS thinks the reinforcements bug is, and if they plan to address it soon. Potentially, it's a game-killer for those who play against the AI.

Thanks for any info.

Martyr,

Charles is looking into it.

Right now, I play no scenarios with reinforcements for the AI side.

Fred

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martyr:

Joel,

You mention that Charles has his hands full with TCP/IP. Is this an estimate, or did he tell you so? I only ask because I want to know how serious BTS thinks the reinforcements bug is, and if they plan to address it soon. Potentially, it's a game-killer for those who play against the AI.

Thanks for any info.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can confirm that this problem has been adressed by Charles and will be corrected in the next update.

And don't ask me when! wink.gif

I would answer: soon. smile.gif

Joel