About AT-Guns

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze 71:

What is the best overall AT-Gun for Axis, if you cannot use Puppchen?

What is the best overall AT-Gun for Allied?

Also, why is it so good?

[EDIT] Forgot "why"

I assume we're talking about CMBO? It's hard to say which is best overall, without factoring in cost. The best single weapon is almost certainly the Pak43, a high velocity 88, but it is more expensive than the Pak40 (a long 75mm), which will kill virtually everything but the heaviest Allied tanks easily from the front. The 88-Flak is not quite as accurate and not quite the equal in penetrating power of the Pak43, but it's good enough for many tasks and is very tough on infantry too (the Pak40 has a slightly wimpy HE blast.) The Flak 88 costs a bit less than the Pak43. The Pak40 can be relocated. The 88s are fixed for the length of the battle. There's also the 50mm ATG which is getting a bit light for the CMBO timeframe but it's cheap and can kill most Allied tanks from the flank.

In the context, again, of gradually declining cost, the two most effective Allied ATGs are the American 90mm (another AA weapon) and the British 17 pounder. These will kill almost all German tanks (except the very heaviest) from the front. Next is the US 76mm. Then we have the Brit 6-pounder and the US 57mm. These are actually the same gun, as I understand it, but the Brits have t rounds and are therefore more effective. US 105mm howitzers can also be effective AT weapons at short ranges as can the British 25 pounder and various 75mm howitzers available to both sides.

The advantage of ATGs is their ability to hide and get off that first, killing shot against tanks. They're vulnerable to artillery, mortar fire, and infantry assaults, so they have to be well handled to gain their advantage. The ATGs in CMBO seem to be significantly harder to supress than the ones in CMBB, and they're often more effective against armor as well (even a US 57mm looks like an uberweapon compared to the Russian 45mm), so in CMBO

ATGs are often thought of as a "best buy" for the defender--much cheaper than the equivalent gun on a tank and often good for more than one tank kill per gun (though the guns rarely survive to the end of the battle.)

[ December 14, 2002, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

If you are looking for the best all around AT gun, for most scenarios, the 75mm PAK is the best bet. My personal favorite is the 50mmPAK however..high rate of fire and sometimes a few rare tungsten rounds. Even with just AP rounds, its still good enough to knock out most allied tanks, even shermans at closer ranges.

You'll really have to find your own style. Some people prefer using 88s or 17lbers and going for the long shot, while I prefer 57mms/6lbers, where you have to hold fire until the enemy gets very close. In any case, AT guns by themselves are not an effective antitank defense, you'll need to back them up with zooks and preferably mobile tank killers as well.

Keep in mind that 40mm and 37mm AA are generally considered to be gamey, so you may wish to ask your opponent before using them in PBEMs.

I'd have to agree with Gustav on both accounts. It depends on what you most feel comfortable with. I tend to purchase both 75/76mm with 50/57mm but generally find the smaller caliber as effective or even better. The biggest reason is target acquisition. A smaller ATG can rotate quite a bit faster and get more shots off than the larger gun. It just requires more patience in waiting for a high percentage shot and the risk of enemy infantry getting too close before that happens.