CMHQ's Maastritch-Tanks: American AAR (Spoiler)

Just got done playing my first scenario: Maastritch-Tanks that I down loaded from CMHQ. It's EXCELLENT!

I played as Amis against the AI, even up. I read Fionn's American setup analysis but didn't know what the Germans had. I followed it and it worked very well for me. I wound up with a total victory (69 - 25) even though time ran out on me before I could "capture" the center victory flag.

The "odd" thing I wanted to let everyone know is that in CM, M5A1 Stuarts are not toothless as they have been in every other wargame I've played. In fact, you could say they were my primary tank killers. They each killed a Pz IVJ and a StuG IIIG. A different M4A3 got each one of the Panther G's. The M10 wasn't totally ineffective either. It immobilized a Panther G before it was KO'd.

Final Tally:

I lost 2 x M4A3(76) and my M10. The Germans lost 3 x Panther G, 2 x Pz IVJ and 2 x StuG IIIG.

Glenn,

I made a conscious decision not to give either side info on what the other side had in the analysis.

I wanted people who weren't experienced wargamers to be able to gain some tactical tips without totally losing all the FOW (and tension) inherent in the scenario.

Ps. You're both hyperactive little bunnies wink.gif

***************SPOILER******************

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great scenario! Just finished playing as the Amis. Learned a lot about flanking and scurrying through the scattered trees. Final Tally, 7 dead german vehicles, 25 casualties and 8 prisoners. 3 Dead US vehicles, 8 casualties. I'll play this one a ton of times.

And yes - General Stuart can be an ornery fellow if he is disturbed!

------------------

CrapGame out

Guest Madmatt

Ahhh, glad you guys like that one. Wait to you see the FULL VERSION of Maastricht! biggrin.gif

Should be later this week! Right Fionn????

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Madmatt

Hey lets talk about our internal decission making process OUT IN THE PUBLIC!!! wink.gif

Umm actually 1 a week is the 'PLAN' but this plan has now faced the enemy and we all know what happens to plans at that point. Since there are two versions of Maastricht (a tanks only ahistorical and true historical) avaialble I thought it would be nice to get them both up rapidly...

Getting scenarios up effectiently and with quality will be a issue for far into the future but I think our focus on background and tactical tips will be a nice change from the grocery list style that other sites will adopt. Don't get me wrong, I want tons of new stuff too but a thorough treatment of each new scenario we host is better in line with the CMHQ Principal...

Madmatt

CMHQ Principal=BITE ME! biggrin.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-20-2000).]

I just finished this scenario too. It was the first one I loaded up when I got the game.

I did pretty well. I played as the Americans and advanced slowly on the victory location. I sent the Staurts around the flanks and split up the rest of my tanks in to two forces. The first force consisted of two shermans and the M10 with the second force consisting of the other two shermans. The first force I advanced up the main road using the bounding overwatch approach. The second force I moved around to the right and tried to get in a good hull down position behind the wheat field. On about turn four I made contact with 2 panthers and and assualt guns moving up the main road toward the town. Only one of my tanks had gotten in to position by that time and he was quickly dispatched. The next turn was one of the most amazing displays of firepower. I ordered all of my tanks to hunt forward some more to get in position. As the replay started all of my tanks moved into LOS of the enemy. After about eight or ten shots by my tanks the outskirts of the town was littered with five dead and burning tanks. All this for the cost of only one sherman on the right flank. It was amazing!! The first enemy tank to be destroyed was a Pz IV J and it exploded castrophically. I tell you those new explosions are amazing.

On the next turn I continued to move my Staurts around the flanks and inched Pool's sherman into a position on the wooded hill above the wheatfield. On the action phase of this turn another panther tank showed up and exchanged shots with Pool's tank. Unfortunately the panthers thick frontal armor protected him well and after two shots richoceting off he was able to knock out Pool's tank. Meanwhile my Staurt on the right flank was working its way through the woods on the right flank and near the end of the turn fired one shot right through the side of the turret of the panther, knocking him out. I couldn't believe it! My Staurt knocked a panther out. You should have saw me jumping up and down in front of my computer. On the next turn another panther appeared and my other Stuart got into the game and knocked him out with a side penetration. Two panther kills by two Staurts. I was impressed!

All that was left now was the moping up of the crews and seizing of the victory objectives. I think my final score was 78-22 or something close to that. I had lost three tanks and killed seven of the enemy. I also only had 1 KIA which I thought was kind of neat.

Thanks Wild Bill for making a great scenario that was a lot of fun.

------------------

Scott

[This message has been edited by PoisonKitchen (edited 06-21-2000).]

as ya'll see by my separate post, I also played that scenario but didn't do quite as well as ya'll.

Oh well, patience ain't one of my virtues.

excellent scenario.

BTW, nope ah didn't read no AAR or nuthin' before trying it out...

Ah just went in default everthing and full FOW...and let the stuff happen..

------------------

this is pathfinder's evil twin

[This message has been edited by pathfinder1 (edited 06-21-2000).]

Yes, I found in a couple of other scenarios that Panther's front armor is very tough to penetrate, even with an M18's gun. That sloped armor just causes too many ricochets. You have to flank them.

Glenn

p.s. to Fionn: My wife agrees with you. She wants me to visit a urologist for a little snip so I don't have to change my screen name again. wink.gif

PoisonK,

oopsie, ah didn't mean to infer ya did read something...

yup, luck has something to do with it..

n that &*(^%$ sOB Murphy too

AND pathy just needs to read terrain better...(put 'em in hull defilade dangit!)

Enjoy you future battles PoisonK!