SPOILER! A Tiger Hunt

Being an ex Grunt, I was a bit worried about tackling this armour heavy scenario, but boy, did I have some fun! I was a bit overwhelmed at first, having so much armour etc. bunched up at the start of the map, and it didn't help when I recieved a fair share of arty on top of it. This woke me up and I got moving. Not knowing anything about armour tactics, I just sent about 4 tanks forward a little to engage the AT Guns at long range, then organised some armour and inf to move down both flanks, and start tiger hunting. Well, to cut a long story short, I lost, a minor victory for the axis, but not before I accounted for 3 of the 4 Tigers and also a Panther G, it was good fun, and one of my Priest's accounted for 2 of the tigers. I will play this scenario again smile.gif

[ June 25, 2002, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Moon ]

Originally posted by athkatla:

Being an ex Grunt, I was a bit worried about tackling this armour heavy scenario, but boy, did I have some fun! I was a bit overwhelmed at first, having so much armour etc. bunched up at the start of the map, and it didn't help when I recieved a fair share of arty on top of it. This woke me up and I got moving. Not knowing anything about armour tactics, I just sent about 4 tanks forward a little to engage the AT Guns at long range, then organised some armour and inf to move down both flanks, and start tiger hunting. Well, to cut a long story short, I lost, a minor victory for the axis, but not before I accounted for 3 of the 4 Tigers and also a Panther G, it was good fun, and one of my Priest's accounted for 2 of the tigers. I will play this scenario again smile.gif

Spoiler Alert! Thanks for the public update regarding the scenario! :( I have just started the scenario via PBEM as the American side, and now I know what I will be facing. My opponent may not be too pleased with your intelligence leak.

You may want to ensure that your comments on scenarios don't give away secrets.

Originally posted by athkatla:

Not knowing anything about armour tactics, I just sent about 4 tanks forward a little to engage the AT Guns at long range

THAT is probably one of the major reasons you lost. It's rarely advisable to send tanks up to take out ATGs at almost any range. In fact, that is what the gunners (and the one commanding them) want you to do. Artillery is your best weapon to use against ATGs. Tanks-vs-guns=bad idea.

Oh, and as Zitadelle said, you'll want to mark any posts regarding scenario details with a spoiler alert, either in the subject line or at the very top of your post.

Originally posted by jgdpzr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by athkatla:

Not knowing anything about armour tactics, I just sent about 4 tanks forward a little to engage the AT Guns at long range

THAT is probably one of the major reasons you lost. It's rarely advisable to send tanks up to take out ATGs at almost any range. In fact, that is what the gunners (and the one commanding them) want you to do. Artillery is your best weapon to use against ATGs. Tanks-vs-guns=bad idea.

Oh, and as Zitadelle said, you'll want to mark any posts regarding scenario details with a spoiler alert, either in the subject line or at the very top of your post.</font>

Yes, Athkatla, I played this a week or so ago against the AI. It wasn't bad, although I'm used to having a few more moves to get where I'm going. I looked up and saw I had three moves and I had only captured one flag.

Bummer.

I was able to get around the ATG's by keeping them busy firing at a couple of tanks I had doing "Top hat-Lowski and then took them out with flanking fire.

I think I had a minor victory when all was said and done. If I do it again, I'll go for more speed, less caution.

i played this scenario by email against a friend of mine(i was american). he resigned before the end, though i think it would have only been a minor victory for me. i was able to take out 3 tigers and 3 panthers(IIRC) and capture the town. the thing that frustrated me the most was all the damn minefields! i lost more to mines than i did to his tanks. by the way, the briefing is misleading. i went in thinking he only had the 4 tigers and he had more tanks than i bargained for!

Same here. At first I thought, "Four Tigers, I think I can handle that." Then I saw the other armor and thought, "You sly dog you."

i was using one of the Stuarts to do a quick recon on my right flank for my first move. He immediately ran into a mine field. I was a bit more careful after that.

Originally posted by jgdpzr:

On the whole that is true, but I recently started a PBEM scenario (which shall remain nameless), where my 16 Shermans started in full view of 4 PZIVs and an ATG (still don't know what calibre), after the smoke cleared it was 15 Shermans vs. 0 PZIVs and no ATG. One of the most explosive first turns I've ever seen.