Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Umm, I know this is a beaten topic but...

Freak

Hi. I just ordered Combat Mission and I am eagerly awaiting it. I hope it comes soon.

My question is, I have a Mac G3 266 with 196 mb ram. I was going to get a voodoo 3 card and flash the rom for the mac. At $50 its a good deal. Anyway, Is it correct that the voodoo 3 wont work with CM? Even with OpenGL? Is Combat Mission OpenGL compatible? well I know it is a redundent question, but I was about to order a new voodoo 3 card.

P.S. I would get a Voodoo 4 but price and system limitations prevent this. Thanks.

-Freak smile.gif

Freak-

Lessee...the V3 will work with CM. However, on larger maps and high resolutions, 1024 and greater, you will get texture whiteout. What this means is that after "some" amount of time, individual textures will get lost and turn white. Eventually, all textures white out and the entire screen turns white. I was able to play through All or Nothing, a very large map with many units, by continually saving, quitting CM, reloading CM, and reloading my saved game. A pain in the butt? Sure. Worth it? Sure. It is a great game, after all!

CM is not OGL compatible. Only D3D.

Your deal sounds so good that I would think it would be worth the try. I would hope that 3dfx will get a driver version that fixes their admitted bug.

Regards,

mike

Freak - On the Mac CM runs in RAVE (QuickDraw). BTS hasn't explicitly stated that they will convert to OpenGL; I guess one major factor will be OS X's compatibility support of RAVE.

On the Mac I guess you'll be using a Voodoo 3 PCI, is that correct ? If so, then the "texture to white" problem may not happen. It seems to be a memory/texture management problem with the AGP cards (which have access to the system's main memory on a PC) which you'll find on a PC. I haven't followed Mac hardware details very much lately, but I don't think any of them have AGP slots to my knowledge.

So, on a Mac a Voodoo3 may work fine. A person by the name of Baboon2 I believe works for 3dfx and is responsible/associated with the RAVE code for the Voodoo series. You may want to search for his posts or Voodoos & Macs to find out what people have mentioned about the Voodoos on the Mac (though a number of them will be about Voodoo 1 & 2).