Games

Hi, peter86.

Welcome, and be warned - your open and friendly attitude, combined, possibly, with the use of the words "coz", "gud", and "sum", could easily lead to a less-than-production relationship between you and the rest of the board.

Look at it this way: Many people here are the type that will spend hours reading and writing about the type of cuff used on 1944 British Airborne uniforms, or argue heatedly about the exact number of rounds carried by a MG42 HMG team on the Eastern Front during August '42. These same people are, it's sad to say, often exactly the type to be put off by the non-standard application of "z" or "u" to a word. ;) Dood.

Now, to actually answer your question: CM, and The Operational Art of War are the only WWII games I play anymore. CM for tactical, TOAW for, well, Operational. It seems there were more once... but whenever I reach for a WWII game these days it's always one of those two. (Though I just got IL-2...)

But I'd like to see some suggestions for a "grand strategic" WWII game that's been published within the last 3 years or so.

And, since you mentioned "WWI games" and didn't specify "wargames", my old, old fav (Saying "fav" is unpopular, too) would have to be Panzer General.

[ June 17, 2002, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

There are several WWII games to pick from, but it really depends on your own "gaming style" as to which you will like the best. I'll stick to the "tactical titles" and ignore the operational...

RTS style has Close Combat series and that thing called Sudden Strike. I won't go into SS, but CC tries to be serious. I've purchased CC3 and CC4, but just did not care for it. Some say it has good graphics, but I was always put off by it. Top down perspective only and of course, real time progress. Bad thing, if you are a control freak and want to experience everything that is happening.

Turn base style you have Steel Panthers and Talonsoft's Campaign Series (East Front II and West Front). Steel Panthers gives you full control and its pace is up to you. Graphically its way behind the times, but is a big favorite to a lot of people. Talonsoft's Campaign series gives you turn based, better graphics, but tends more to larger battles with units representing platoons (even vehicles). Its a much slower paced game, feels almost operational, and is more oriented to board type games of this sort (read older play mechanics).

Then there is Combat Mission. It combines the control of turn base and the chaotic nature of real time. With one minute turns the ability to watch the action from any where and as many times as you want, its a real trip. You have no control during the one minute execution phase, depending on your plotted moves and the TacAI, which you will hate and praise. Update the graphics with the mountain of Mods available, and it leaves other war games in the dust. This game has easily become the best tactical based WWII game on the market.

That is a small list "tactical" titles, and there are more not so well known titles, especially for the operational level. There is also some other titles coming our real soon, though the only one of real importance is CMBB. Can you tell which WWII tactical title I like best?

[ June 17, 2002, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: kump ]

Peter: I thought you were looking for a wargame. Sudden strike is not a wargame. Tanks do not have hitpoints.

As for spelling, punctuation and grammar, they are well, important to your income potential. I advisie making use of the concepts.

And guys, if you need something this guy says translated, you can now find an SMS lingo translator here.

WWB