Targeting Knocked out AFVs- gamey tactics by the AI

This happened to me last night while playing the AI (it was a slow night and I'm not currently involved in a PBEM). I was playing a scenario that I downloaded from Manx's old site (now its at Scenario Depot). I won't tell the name of the scenario to avoid spoiling it.

Here is the setup:

I'm playing the Germans in a meeting engagement that centers on a wheat field on a slope. I hold the upper ground, and the Americans are approaching from my right flank. The right flank is a forested area that borders the wheat field. My troops are a standard 1944 SS infantry company and supporting PzKW IVHs. The Americans have a similar force- including various Sherman tanks.

In the forested area I have about two platoons with supporting 'schreks. At the each of the wheat field and overlooking the downhill slope are three PzKW IVHs. The American Shermans are approaching from the right- in front of the infantry platoon.

Here is what happens:

A Sherman appears at the crest of a slope in front of the forest. The infantry and two 'schrek units target the tank. The infantry gets the commander to button-up, and the two schrek units fire their first rounds (misses). As the Sherman tries to get into a good position for targetting it tops the crest, and the second 'schrek gets the knockout.

The tank's momentum keeps it rolling off the crest and down the slope.

At this point, the Germans still think it is an active target. The other 'schrek unit continues to target the Sherman and fire rounds. Moreover, the knocked out Sherman now emerges into the PzKW IVHs' LOS. All three target the Sherman, and begin firing (ignoring their previous targets). The reported fire is classic to review:

Several misses (the first 'schrek still can't hit the Sherman).

A ricochet off the turret.

And, two penetrating knock-outs hits (the tank keeps moving so, the PzKW IVHs continue to target).

The Sherman is knocked out three-separate times- and not a single brew up. Finally, the Sherman rolls to a halt after 100+ meters and a single crew member emerges.... One damn lucky dude. The Germans now realize, "ahh, Fritz I think that the Sherman is dead," and go back to whatever they were targeting.

So, the AI uses its knocked out Sherman to draw fire from two 'schreks and three tanks saving its other units. Very gamey, but I also enjoyed watching it. Moreover, I realized that I had viewed yet another undocumented 'feature' of CMBO that makes it a truly worthwhile purchase and enjoyable game.

Great work to BTS!!

Originally posted by Offwhite:

Are you sure the first several hits were killing penetrations? If you're playing without detailed hit info, it can be hard to tell sometimes.

Either way, it sounds like an interesting sequence. Still got the file, by any chance?

Yes, the second 'schrek managed to get a penetrating knock-out hit. I had detailed hit information activated (frequently do for the thrill of the action). Also, the Sherman displayed the usual droopy gun barrel, and when I highlighted the tank on its march downhill it did not have any red target lines (it wasn't targeting anything)- only the yellow lines.

I will check to see if I still have the file.

I find the incident to be totally realistic although one does have to wonder what action identifies the target as 'dead' and therefore no longer worthy of being attackedby the AI . Could be something to do with movement.

Hit em again, hit em again, harder, harder --Toad