What kind of Battles do you like best?

ive been trying my hand at creating battles for CM. and i would like to know what kind of battles there are an interest for?

do you look more for PBEM/TCP games or for playing against the AI?

do you like armour on both sides? one with armor the other with light AT weapons? or forget the armour, lets go for it with only infantry!?

short battles (less than 30 turns), med (30-50) or LONG battles?

big forces (3000+ pts), med (1000-3000) or smaller forces?

slugfest? part slugfest/manuever? or lots of manueving around the battle field (small force on big map)?

big HUGE maps that allow lots of room to plan, or very straightforward maps?

for me personally, i like to play maps that are very straightforward. i dont like too much to move around forever looking for each other. i play this game to fight, no to look. i like med force sizes. i tend to like to play the AI on pre made battles (i prefer QB for PBEM/TCP).

so what do you like? i dont you like?

thanks!!!!

chad harrison

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

ive been trying my hand at creating battles for CM. and i would like to know what kind of battles there are an interest for?

do you look more for PBEM/TCP games or for playing against the AI?

do you like armour on both sides? one with armor the other with light AT weapons? or forget the armour, lets go for it with only infantry!?

short battles (less than 30 turns), med (30-50) or LONG battles?

big forces (3000+ pts), med (1000-3000) or smaller forces?

slugfest? part slugfest/manuever? or lots of manueving around the battle field (small force on big map)?

big HUGE maps that allow lots of room to plan, or very straightforward maps?

for me personally, i like to play maps that are very straightforward. i dont like too much to move around forever looking for each other. i play this game to fight, no to look. i like med force sizes. i tend to like to play the AI on pre made battles (i prefer QB for PBEM/TCP).

so what do you like? i dont you like?

thanks!!!!

chad harrison<hr></blockquote>

AI

Armor both

Medium

big/medium

slugfest/maneuver

Big Maps (not too big)

Regards,

Ryan

I wrote a semi-long post and my connection cut for hours... I'll post my inane views again.

I like battles with a "twist," with the forces going after something peculiar, or other then "take the village," it can be a detailed, step to step strategy on completeting the mission, tactical decisions the player must execute with precision to win, detailed reserve information and the why/what of every unit, so on. Of course with that, a good, in-depth briefing is a near must.

/me utters tongue.gif akgpja uhggolggo uurkeg

The cigar I'm trying to smoke was so dry its disintegrating in my mouth. Away with it! Those cigar-drying demons, blast them with a 95mm British close support gun, I dare say!

Anyway. Surprising and different features in a scenario catch my eye, if they are also fitted in using rigorous testing all the more better. Can't get the village secured by minute 15? You are in trouble, since the AI will get two platoons of Tigers at the time! Can't get the FO to hill 213 by H+15 minutes? You're meat! Blow that bridge in 23 minutes or the German armored convoy is in range! Those kinds of things. I must say I prefer premade scenarios to Quick Battles everytime, but the best part in premades are they usually have a battle script/plot that makes sense. At least I hope. The worst are more or less just "quick battles" with a 2 word briefing and some wacky units like the Super Pershing and the King Tiger grinding mud and lesser vehicles that were 1000 x more common. Those I rather avoid. Likewise I avoid playing lots of TCP/IP games with "gamey" or whatever units. Good tanks were a special treat, not a feature in every skirmish.

And ugh, however much like like "special operations" and scenarios differing to the norm, completely oddball scenarios which feature "rare" units (Super Pershings. King Tigers... etc.) give me the creeps. It has to be historically plausibe. Not that there can't be a few; a nice, out of the norm scen can be and easily is created using rare forces, of course. It just has to make sense, for me.

Which is not that much to ask ;)

[note] I hope this POST made even some sense, it was written prior to going asleep after I got some rather powerful medication from the hospital and I have some trouble articulating my thoughts at the moment. Like trying to walk.[/note]

medium to large map

ai

u.s. cavalry

german motorized infantry

german: lots of halftracks and maybe some armored cars... some good armor... stugs, tigers, whatever... definitely a platoon of 251/9 halftracks in larger scenarios... maybe as infantry battalion support or as part of a recon company.

if you do a german recon company, think of using a couple of psw 234/3s as command vehicles, or have a platoon of them. in later war i like to use swp 250/9s in recon companies because i figure by then that the 234/1, 234/2, and 234/3s were probably fairly chewed up and the 250/9 is like a poor man's version of the 234/1. the 251/9 is likewise to the 234/3.

american: 'cavalry'

'cavalry troop' (company):

1 Company HQ

3 platoon hq (1 per platoon)

3 squads (1 per platoon)

9 .50 cal (3 per platoon)

9 60mm mortar (3 per platoon)

9 greyhound (3 per platoon)

10 m3a1 halftracks (or 20 jeeps but the jeep .50 doesn't transport so i buy the m3a1s... 1 for every 2 jeep in the historical force)

75mm FO or 2 M8 HMC

you can put 3 'troops' and a battalion hq (with halftrack) together for a 'squadron' which is a cavalry battalion.

the 6 or 8 m8 hmcs were in 'troop e' and were allocated as indirect fire support, 2 per troop a-c or a-d whichever the case may have been. (apparently there were troops a-c in cavalry group squadrons and troops a-d in the armored divisions' recon battalions)

'troop f' was 17 (3 platoon x 5 and 2 command tanks) stuarts and later the m24 chaffee.

yes, a vehicle swarm over a large map is a lot of fun... you can bet that you will make contact with the u.s. cavalry!!!

the scenario should be at least company-level and perhaps battalion-level or more.

once i designed one with a 'brigade' - two depleted infantry battalions and about 80 german afvs and trucks if memory serves.

it crashed one guy's machine. took about 5 minutes to compile a turn on my machine.

there were something like 100 american vehicles in that one... 6 m8 hmcs, 27 greyhound, 17 stuart, etc... 27 60mm mortars... 27 .50 cal...

it's called 'tank trap (huge)' i made a smaller, 20-turn version on a small map... it's called, 'tank trap (small)'

anyway, put me down for small to large forces on large maps, 20-120 turns.

my latest, 'recon rally' is on a huge 2k x 2k map with just company-level forces... there is a lot of manuevering and longer-ranged fire, but the focal point is at the bridge crossings in the center of the board.

there are 3 versions, all on the same map. there is one for play against both axis and allied ai, and one for pbem. the map is the same but the forces and start locations are different in all 3.

usually though, i just write for one side against the ai. i really liked the 'recon rally' map though and cranked out german and pbem versions; the original was an american attack against the german ai.

all 3 versions are 'vehicle-heavy.'

a lot of the vehicles are 'light' AFVs.

andy