On Topic Sort of - JagtPanther

Anyone watching 'Band of Brothers' (it's just been screened here in Australia) would have noticed the armoured vehicles used. Now most were in 'Saving Private Ryan' but the one that intrigued me the most was the JagtPanther. I never really got to see the bogies but was wondering if anyone out there knows if this is a real one or just a TV conversion?

It did move a little fast for my liking though.

Also I know the show was from the perspective of the 101 Airborne but strike me stupid if the Germans looked like Dorks again…

Director – “Ok in this scene you Germans will all line up in a straight line and fall over when I say shoot – got that”

Director to 101 Airborne guy – “Ok your 1 bullet is going to kill these 6 Germans so make it look like it’s nothing special”

Director to German Armour – “Ok you’ve got a Tiger but your going to turn around and run showing your soft rear end – now now (re-enactors screaming) I know it’s tactical doctrine to reverse out but it looks better this way”

Hehe – overall the series gets 4 out of 5 but why oh why do we always make the bad guys look like dorks – the 101 were class soldiers but why undervalue that by making the enemy look like newbs.

Ok – so it’s alot off topic – shoot me (it does start about a tank!!!) :D

[ October 07, 2002, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Aussie Smith ]

Originally posted by Aussie Smith:

Also I know the show was from the perspective of the 101 Airborne but strike me stupid if the Germans looked like Dorks again…

Director – “Ok in this scene you Germans will all line up in a straight line and fall over when I say shoot – got that”

Director to 101 Airborne guy – “Ok your 1 bullet is going to kill these 6 Germans so make it look like it’s nothing special”

Director to German Armour – “Ok you’ve got a Tiger but your going to turn around and run showing your soft rear end – now now (re-enactors screaming) I know it’s tactical doctrine to reverse out but it looks better this way”

Hehe – overall the series gets 4 out of 5 but why oh why do we always make the bad guys look like dorks – the 101 were class soldiers but why undervalue that by making the enemy look like newbs.

Ok – so it’s alot off topic – shoot me (it does start about a tank!!!) :D

I don't think that was the case at all. I don't recall any uber-Americans in general, quite the opposite. Plenty of them got themselves shot in all sorts of stupid ways. Some of the scenarios where rather lop-sided, but they were pretty faithful to history in many of those.

The Captain coming over the little hill to see the bunch of Germans sitting there? That actually happened. The attack on the 88s in the first episode? It is sued as a text-book example of how to attack a prepared position with inferior numbers in the Army War College.

It is a psuedo-documentary told from the perspective of some elite US troops.

Jeff Heidman

And the Tiger's a T34.

Those guys at Bovington know what they're doing.

The Panzer IVs are made from the British FV 432 (not entirely dissimilar to the M113)

Personally I love the way the Jagdpanther comes screaming round the corner, comes to an abrupt halt and fires almost immediately and with devastating accuracy.

And of course the Brits are hopelessly incompetent and totally dependent on the US forces to win the war. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

The Captain coming over the little hill to see the bunch of Germans sitting there? That actually happened. The attack on the 88s in the first episode? It is sued as a text-book example of how to attack a prepared position with inferior numbers in the Army War College.

[/QB]

Were those 88s? I thought they were 105s.