Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Aeroplanes

I think we should talk about how well Allied rockets work in CM. From the documentaries and film I have seen RAF fighter bombers do a lot better then what CM let them. I have seen film of a rocket blowing the top off a KT. In CM it just go bong and heads for space.

Rob,

That was with 8 aircraft ripple firing 12 rockets each. Even today, with radar gunsights, rockets are an area affect weapon. It is very difficult to hit something with a spin stabilized projectile that flies relatively slowly (compared to, say, a bullet) when you have to calculate ballistic drop, slant range, and target motion.

In short, rockets are a "pull and pray" weapon.

My dad flew P-51's in WWII in the ETO. He said that the only time they ever did anything to tanks was if they caught them on a road convoy. Which was exactly once.

Otherwise he said his ground support consisted of shooting up volkswagons, trains, trucks, and supply dumps. The best that they could do for the ground trooops was finding Patton's lead element, out of gas, out of ammo, out of luck, and surrounded by Germans, radio in their position, and make a few passes at what they hoped were German troops.

Something must have worked. Patton kept sending the fighter squadrons captured booty.