Calling All Newbies

...except the ones already in the Newbie Tournaments. ;)

Two Players have gone AWOL from the tournament and I plan to promote two Alternates to take their places. So, we are in need of more Alternates.

Now, before you say, "I don't want to be an Alternate. I want to play," hear me out. In the Newbie Tournaments, everybody gets to play; even the Alternates! The regular Players are involved in the tournament-proper, which involves two scenarios per round. At the same time, the Alternates are involved in the Alterna Bowl, which involves one scenario per round.

So, if you'd like to join the fun, send me an email ( tedquincey@yahoo.com ) and I'll send you an application.

Remember, this is a tournament for Newbies. So, if you are a seasoned veteran, please do not apply. However, I am willing to relax the restrictions a bit here. For example, if you have played many (50+) battles against human opponents but you really suck, you'd be welcome here.

Now is your chance to join the fun!

I am sure several of the current Players and Alternates will have good things to say. ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Remember, this is a tournament for Newbies. So, if you are a seasoned veteran, please do not apply. However, I am willing to relax the restrictions a bit here. For example, if you have played many (50+) battles against human opponents but you really suck, you'd be welcome here.

Now is your chance to join the fun!

I am sure several of the current Players and Alternates will have good things to say. ;) <hr></blockquote>

It's nice to know I'd be welcome for obvious reasons (ask all the gentlemen in the Peng thread), but no thank you.

Argh! We loose an opportunity to see how CombatGeneral fight against another newbie!

All we know about his historical battle against Swamp ... :D

BTW I dont't think that two guys are guilty ... they are only CRAZY if they are reluctant to play all this excellent maps!

Yes!! Come join the fun!! Everybody's doing it. . . C'mon, don't be a square!

Succumb to the peer pressure. Besides, for some reason the girlfriend thinks it's less geekish if I try to defeat another human at a computer game rather than the computer itself. She still doesn't understand why playing this game over the internet is better than playing hearts over the internet, though. Go figure.

SuperTed's Newbie Tournaments. Join us, and it'll get you in with the Babes. :D

"Testify brother, tes-ti-fy!"

I am about as new as anyone could be to this game, and I had some real trepidations about joining this tournament, and I may very well be eliminated in this first round of 2 games, but I have had more fun and learned more than I could possibly have imagined in advance. I knew CMBO was a good game, but now I see why it is a great game; it is the people, people like Super Ted and my current opponent Splash, that make this game and this community thrive and blossom into something wonderful.

Super Ted has put together a truly superb set of very interesting battles, specially designed for Newbies, and he is running this tournament in a very friendly and extremely professional manner. Even if I was paying big money to play in this tournament, I couldn't have asked for a more skillful manager/organizer/scenario designer than Super Ted.

He has even gone so far as to design the tournament so that everyone can play, even after they are eliminated from the formal tournament. You really can't lose in this tournament; you'll get to play more battles any way it goes.

And my opponent, Splash, is a true gentleman, noble, humble, clever, and kind. The type of opponent one could only hope for, but never expect.

An equally impressive opponent awaits you, I suspect.

So, if you're a Newbie reading this, then you're on the right track. Now fire up your email and send Super Ted a letter, for a genuine adventure awaits you.

Pfc. Dunsel

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Pfc. Dunsel ]</p>

the other great thing about this tournament is that since everyone is basically "new" to playing vs. a human everyone "wants" to play... the matches all seem to be moving along at a good pace and im guessing(hoping) that as far as any grumbling goes its been fairly minor.

SuperTed has done a great job at keeping things organized and in my case at least has been more than helpful in problem solving. (come to think of it ST, if my first "real" girlfriend had as been as helpful as you she woulda had a lot more fun...heh).

all in all the tournament has a good beat and everyone can dance to it....i give it a 98!!

Excellent tourney! The missions are very impressive, in that its not another set piece battle with the obligatory 1 this, and 1 that, etc. Effective use of terrain and nature where it needs to be, not just thrown in because "it would look cool." The two scenarios we are playing right now require completely different tactics from each other, which makes waiting for the turns to come in nearly unbearable.

I know I'm going to be trying to get into any of the future tournaments run by SuperTed (hey, I know a good thing when I see it).But best of all, I met an opponent who made me sweat blood and tears EACH AND EVERY TURN. And he has already accept a challenge for a QB PBEM...

Aaaaah, White4, that's the best part! After my 2 battles against Commander we played another 2 TCP/IP QB and it was my best experience in CM to date.

I hope our White4 vs Leta will be a good experience for both us ;)

Hey! I got my butt kicked in the first round (no names, Mr. Witko...) but so far it has totally been better than playing the AI - just the element of unpredictibility is enough to get the juices flowing for playing some PBEM. That and having to re-think strategies because the human opponant has done the same.

SuperTed has some great maps - from what I've seen (the first two from round one, and the Alterna map)they challenge in completely different ways. And the cool thing is getting a database of other players of the same skill level as you. Heck, I'm still trying to beat Witko in an unrelated game!

So, jump in...the water's fine! I don't know how many great opportunities like this you're going to get to really join the battle!

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Toran ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Yes!! Come join the fun!! Everybody's doing it. . . C'mon, don't be a square!

Succumb to the peer pressure. Besides, for some reason the girlfriend thinks it's less geekish if I try to defeat another human at a computer game rather than the computer itself. She still doesn't understand why playing this game over the internet is better than playing hearts over the internet, though. Go figure.

SuperTed's Newbie Tournaments. Join us, and it'll get you in with the Babes. :D <hr></blockquote>

Ditto from Yankee Dog's opponent- Zitadelle. The wife has had some interesting comments during the past several weeks, and she wonders why I spend so much time in e-mail these days. Still, she now understands that I am not the only warmongering geek in the world.

SuperTed has done really well creating challenging scenarios, and both YD and myself have learned several new things. Somehow, it is difficult to go back to AI now- the challenge seems a little dry and it is exciting to realize that there is another mind working on the other side.

Come join and see the carnage for yourself. Just watch out for Uber-sharpshooters!

W4,

Actually, all the spots have been filled. However, Newbies should feel free to fill out a questionnaire. Tournaments are always losing players and looking for more to step into the fray.

If you and Leta want to take a crack at something that will satisfy your CM cravings, I have just the ticket. I have a scenario that is LARGE and includes over 60 AFVs per side! :eek: If you (or anybody else in the tournaments) would like to watch a computer cry, send me an email ( tedquincey@yahoo.com ). It's called "Blood and Steel."