Please tell me this is fixed in CMBB

I've had multiple occasions were fire has caused my units to automatically replot their moves. In every case they decided to run in the open within 60m of enemy units and have been ripped to shreds. Please tell me I'll get feedback if I plot a move in CMBB that's going to be massively replotted.

It's amusing in a sick way to watch my pixelated soldiers get confused and run towards the enemy and be shredded. But I can live without that added amusement.

-marc

I hate it when this happens too. It makes vehicles like the Wasp all the more annoying. I would prefer it if the soldier always turned around and sought cover behind them when they encountered a burning tile. That way your advance would be broken up or halted, but at least you men would not try to push on under massed fire in the open.

I love this feature. One of the best episodes I had was when an Arty spotter with a full load was about to start dropping arty on my opponents position on a hill. All of a sudden they were fired on. Instead of running towards the house 5 meters away they ran into the tree line. The tree line that had the enemy squad. So my guys ran up a hill and got shredded. What a bunch of morons!

Gen

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bullethead:

But not for grass fires. Hell, all troops should still be able to sit in burning grass tiles, because the fire is small only only burning in a thin ring. Most of the tile is not burning.<hr></blockquote>

Unless it's swamp grass, reeds, etc., that are 5-foot and taller and there's a 1.5 feet of muck and the damned Dept. of Conservation didn't assess the wind speed and direction before touching it off.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>We've melted the lights off and blistered the paint on more than 1 firetruck, too<hr></blockquote>

[snicker]Oh, fire chiefs just love when that happens.[/snicker]

Hope you weren't engineering any of those times, buddy.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Moriarty ]</p>

xerxes said:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I has refering to the fire that burns. smile.gif The problem occurs when you move near an existing fire and your move plot goes wacky.<hr></blockquote>

Well, being a fireman, I don't find that unrealistic either, in most cases. One of the biggest surprises for me when I got into this job was the sheer intensity of the radiant heat thrown off by a large fire. Like a burning house or patch of woods, for example. It's simply amazing. This radiant heat is quite capable of igniting flammables (like houses across the street) within its area of effect. I'm talking just the heat "shining" out of the fire, not sparks or direct flame contact. I've seen vinyl siding melt completely off the exposed sides of houses up to 100' away from a burning garage. We've melted the lights off and blistered the paint on more than 1 firetruck, too smile.gif .

Needless to say, this type of heat is QUITE unbearable to unprotected personnel and ain't much fun for fully equipped firemen, either. So I think it's good when troops run away when ordered to move too close to burning buildings and such. Troops in battledress just are not capable of sneaking around the corner of a burning house, and they're not going to be able to stand within 20m or so of it for any length of time.

The problem is that CM doesn't distinguish between types of fires--fires all treat units the same way, regardless of what's burning. The above intensity for radiant heat is only applicable for things like buildings, woods, tall pines, and brush and crops in the appropriate seasons. But not for grass fires. Hell, all troops should still be able to sit in burning grass tiles, because the fire is small only only burning in a thin ring. Most of the tile is not burning.

Moriarty said:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Unless it's swamp grass, reeds, etc., that are 5-foot and taller and there's a 1.5 feet of muck and the damned Dept. of Conservation didn't assess the wind speed and direction before touching it off.<hr></blockquote>

LOL, no, I'm talking about pasture-type grass, like you find in a clear terrain tile. Technically wheat, corn, barley, and all them are types of grass, too, and a burning wheat- or cornfield can be right up there with a house fire for radiant heat. But the short grass doesn't do anything really except make a lot of smoke.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>[snicker]Oh, fire chiefs just love when that happens.[/snicker]<hr></blockquote>

Hehehe, yeah, most times there's no excuse for that sort of thing. 99 times out of 100, there's no need to take that sort of risk. If you damage the truck on one of those days, it's your ass. But every once in a while the situation warrants it, and sometimes the fire surprises us. Then it's just c'est la guerre. I'm lucky in that my chief was in Nam, so he understands that combat equipment sometimes gets shot up :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Hope you weren't engineering any of those times, buddy.<hr></blockquote>

Not yet smile.gif . However, I am just getting over a piece of shrapnel in my hand slug there by a rescue saw. Tomorrow's my 1st day back at work in 2 weeks.