Hotton Belgium Version 2

No "major" changes. I didn't want to alter the scenario so much as to depart from its historical accuracy... So...

Made ground conditions light snow-- which should radically improve German mobility.

Added one platoon German infantry and one HMG-- both of decent quality.

I hope this is enough to better balance PBEM.

Comments are welcome,

Stoner

I downloaded the scenario and the zip and entry in the scenario list said v.2. It was mud when I played however. I was just about to play it again now so I'll go over to the depot an DL again to get the updated version.

Even in the 'mud' conditions I have to say I probably rate the scenario as one of the top I've played v. the AI as allies, not tried as axis. Excellent!!!! 9.8/10

Got the new version, and started playing it blind, (in other words I did not load it in the editor and peek at the thing), as the German attcker last night, letting the computer controlled US forces stay with default set-up.

I've read about this battle from a couple sources and was trying to figure out how to model it in CM myself! I therefore knew what to expect as far as the kind of battle it should be. Though I am sure this map is more accurate than my attempts at it, I really thought, or just had the feeling, the portion of town on the German side of the river was much smaller....

So far I'm very impressed. I am going to finish it up after work this evening, and probably then try lettng the computer pick it's own set-up, and finish up by playing as the American side as soon as I get the chance.

As it stands now this is one of the better user created (ametuer?) scenarios to date.

Apache, just emailed Hottonv2 to you.

I have another that needs playtesting before I send it to the Scenario Depot... This is the briefing and it has never been fully tested. I'll email the zip to anyone interested.

ALL comments are welcome.

Title: Haut Fornel France

Type: Meeting Engagement

Date: June 6th, 1944 1830 Hours

Weather: Day. Overcast.

Ground Conditions: Damp.

--Description--

Operation Overlord, the invasion of Western Europe, closes its first day. American Airborne units tasked with securing the strategic west flank of the invasion beaches are extremely

scattered but have been generally successful in their tactical objectives.

Late in the afternoon, elements of the 1st Battalion, 502nd Parachute Regiment have coalesced south of St Germain-de-

Varreville. Lt Col Cassidy's battalion, now in enough strength, addresses their strategic objective-- establishing a blocking

line between Utah Beach and Ste Mere-Eglise.

With three companies, 1st Battalion moves north and west.

Moving through the dense bocage, 1st Battalion stumbles onto pockets of stiff resistance. The 919th Grenadier Regiment, initially confused by the scattered airborne drops, is grasping

the breadth of the situation and establishing itself.

Meeting difficult enemy positions at Foucarville, Cassidy orders his battalion reserve, C Company under Capt Hancock, to move west and capture Beuzeville-au-Plain. This effort by Capt Hancock

should "tie" the 101st into units of the 82nd near Ste Mere-Eglise.

Lt Morton Smit, 1st platoon C Company, leads his men off the main road and pushes west along a dry streambed. Lt Smit becomes the lead element of Capt Hancock's C Coy.

By early evening, Lt Smit's platoon sees a church tower and advances thinking the village is Beuzeville-au-Plain-- the company objective.

Instead, C Coy stumbles into the hornets' nest of Haut Fornel.

--Terrain--

Norman bocage at its best--or worst. Haut Fornel lies just above the extremely flat marshes which extend east towards Utah beach. If not for the hedgerows, the village might be considered high

ground.

--Notes--

This scenario is designed to be played as Americans vs AI. Both sides start with very few troops on the map but reinforcements

make it a company sized action.

German units are an estimation of the OOB. Historical names are indicated with an asterisk (*).