Yet another camo uniform mod preview, but with a difference

That's a stupid title for a thread but it's all I could think of. Remember when I said I was revamping my 44-dot uniform mod? Well, I lied. I actually made a new one, from scratch. Actually, it's "from scratch" in more ways than one, as none of the uniform textures are taken from photos, it's all hand-made by yours truly (the base for the camo pattern is from a photo).

Check it out:

peas1.jpg

and a detail:

peas2.jpg

Opinions welcome. I personally think it looks less "forced" than the previous photo-based mods.

smile.gif

[ May 01, 2002, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

What can I say that hasn't been said...

I like the open collar and visable shirt underneath - that's been a refreshing feature of your recent mods... The dot pattern is one of the best available - very photorealistic.

I'll add it to my arsenal as soon as it's available. Merçi.

Did I hear that you had some more Commonwealth armor in the pipeline? I'm still drooling over the Cromwell.

I really really like it. Now that'll stand out in the game. Excellent job again Andrew. I do like the open collar myself it just makes it so much more realistic looking. Love the belt buckle too. Thank you again Andrew. Never get tired of excellent mods. You guys really help keep the interest up in the game.

As always, thanks! smile.gif

I'm not really fishing for compliments (ahem :rolleyes: ) but trying to get input on what is for me a new mod-making technique. No more slavish devotion to photos of uniforms! what's more, it didn't take too long to put together.

Next up is a series of non-white winter uniforms for the Germans, which I'll make using the same technique.

Looks good overall. The only thing I noticed is the upper legs and upper torso appear a bit too dark compared to the rest of the uniform. Is that a shading effect? It appears a bit odd.

Good to hear you are going to work on some non-white winter uniforms. Can't wait to see those.

Keith

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

Looks good overall. The only thing I noticed is the upper legs and upper torso appear a bit too dark compared to the rest of the uniform. Is that a shading effect? It appears a bit odd.

Good to hear you are going to work on some non-white winter uniforms. Can't wait to see those.

Keith

The leg textures still need a few more tweaks before they're ok for release. I'm not sure what part of the torso you're referring to, I guess I don't see it.

The winter uniforms should be ready shortly.

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

I'm not sure what part of the torso you're referring to, I guess I don't see it.

The areas around the shoulders. I wouldn't worry about it. Just concentrate on the legs.

The winter uniforms should be ready shortly.

Great!

Keith

I also noticed the dark areas around the shoulders and upper legs just right below the shirt but didn't want to nic pick although I guess that's the reason Andrew asked our opinions. So yeah it would improve the overall look if these areas were lightened. There I finally said something negative about a mod but

only out of love. ;)

Ah, ok. The dark areas in question are part of the camo pattern itself. I was planning on tweaking the leg textures a bit--the scale of the pattern is off when compared to the torso--and I suppose I can work with the shoulders as well.

Even though the pattern is supposed to be that way it does tend to look a bit strange in certain cases.

smile.gif

Check it out:

peas1.jpg

Hehe looks like a Brit or American machine gunner with a sense of humour has been shooting these Germans in the knees!!

Maybe the light green could be replaced with a slightly darker muddyish green to offset that effect. Otherwise very good.

ATF I spent a ridiculous (meant literally) amount of time messing with the shading on the pants doing that VS Mod. I assume all legs 'wrap' the same way. I can send you my 'maps' if you want them. I'm in PS 5.5 Mac (and #@!! proud of it!), or I could pull .bmp's.

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

ATF I spent a ridiculous (meant literally) amount of time messing with the shading on the pants doing that VS Mod. I assume all legs 'wrap' the same way. I can send you my 'maps' if you want them. I'm in PS 5.5 Mac (and #@!! proud of it!), or I could pull .bmp's.

Thanks, but I think I have it under control. I should have remembered the lessons learned from earlier mods :rolleyes:

The camo patterns can be tough as the torso, legs, and arms are all scaled differently. Notice how the "dots" on the legs are huge in comparison to the rest of the uniform. I'll have to resize the basic pattern to be much smaller, then I'll clone out the weird dark areas until I get something better.

smile.gif

Say Andrew I have a question for you if you don't mind? It seems the SS uniforms are the one's that got the fancy looking uniforms never reg army. All I see for the reg troops are gray or some plain looking colors. Didn't they have anything neat like the SS? I'm thinking I'll be using the above uniform for SS and would like to see something that stands out in the game as well for the reg soldiers. Any hope of doing one in the future? Just asking.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Say Andrew I have a question for you if you don't mind? It seems the SS uniforms are the one's that got the fancy looking uniforms never reg army. All I see for the reg troops are gray or some plain looking colors. Didn't they have anything neat like the SS? I'm thinking I'll be using the above uniform for SS and would like to see something that stands out in the game as well for the reg soldiers. Any hope of doing one in the future? Just asking.

Apparently the Heer never used camouflage garments in large numbers like the Waffen-SS did, which I guess accounts for the prevalence of field grey uniforms. However I did make some historical camo uniform mods for the Heer: both splinter and tan-water smocks and helmet covers. I think I made trousers, too, but I don't remember. :confused:

These are available at Tom's CMHQ and I guess at whatever's left of Manx's old site. The splinter mod is included in the Panzermania tank crew set, and the tan-water mod is a bonus addition to the hi-res Commonwealth mod pack.

Camo winter (non-white) Heer and FJ uniforms are in the works. smile.gif

Thanks Andrew for the answer. I was not aware that you had made anything other then what was in the I believe Pack 1. I'll shall go hunting. Did I ever tell you how much enjoyment you have brough to this game? I really mean it. I admire the heck out of you guys.

Thanks! Those Heer camo mods were kind of "afterthought Mods" that I put together as an experiment and then decided to release. They just happened to coincide with the release of the other mod packs.

I don't know if they have been included in any of the CMMOS releases.

I don't know if they have been included in any of the CMMOS releases.

It's all in there. Every one of your Heer, SS, Fallschirmjäger and Volkssturm mod I could find. smile.gif

BTW, you mentioned earlier about camo pants for Heer. I was thinking you did something with those as well but never did find anything at Tom's CMHQ, Der Kessel or CMHQ (Manx's old site links).

Keith

Originally posted by lcm1947:

In addition to Andrew's excellent answer, I can tell you the German Army did make extensive use of the camouflaged zeltbahn, or shelter quarter, but it can't be modded in the game (rather like a greatcoat). It was worn poncho-style in various configurations and draped loosely around the shoulders and below the waist in the most common method of wearing.

[ May 02, 2002, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]