Killer Tank Hunter Team

PeterX

My SS grenadiers, on the attack, are closing out a wipe-the-floor match against the AI. Soviets have a single Tank Hunter team cowering in the house under the last flag. My SS platoon assaults, 2 squads in, 1 squad overwatching from the house next door. Result: we take the house but it takes two turns at the cost of 12 dead grenadiers. My overwhelming triumph turns into a feeble 'tactical victory'.

I understood that the weapon load of these 2 man Tanker Hunter teams, consists of smgs + rpg grenades. Can anybody explain this disaster?

[ September 28, 2002, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

SMGs are really mean - especially the russian PPSh. If you look at unit stats, at a range of 40 meters, a tank hunter team (i.e. 2 PPSh smgs) has a firepower of 100(!). This is greater FP than a German squad with 8 K-98s and 1 SMG at the same range (usually a German squad will have a LMG, too).

As I understand it, the FP number goes up more at ranges shorter than 40 meters, and apparently favors the SMGs even more over rifles. On another thread, someone pointed out that the sov. mountain smg squad has a FP of 550 (!) at 40 meters.

Most of my tank hunter teams have died trying to advance to a position where they can attack a tank. It wouldn't have occurred to me that they would be so effective inside a building until I looked at their firepower.

What a great (gamey?) way to slow an advance in a city or wooded area!

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

Seems like a good tactic. Very small groups of men in the proper cover can wreck havoc. Sending small groups of well equiped men out to do that (delay) did and does happen in real life situations. Of course, you better lie convincingly to the sacrificial lambs! Or be a Russian officer in WWII and threaten to drop them here and now or give them a chance "out there". LOL

Originally posted by Snarker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

Seems like a good tactic. Very small groups of men in the proper cover can wreck havoc. Sending small groups of well equiped men out to do that (delay) did and does happen in real life situations. Of course, you better lie convincingly to the sacrificial lambs! Or be a Russian officer in WWII and threaten to drop them here and now or give them a chance "out there". LOL</font>

Originally posted by AussieJeff:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Snarker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

Seems like a good tactic. Very small groups of men in the proper cover can wreck havoc. Sending small groups of well equiped men out to do that (delay) did and does happen in real life situations. Of course, you better lie convincingly to the sacrificial lambs! Or be a Russian officer in WWII and threaten to drop them here and now or give them a chance "out there". LOL</font>

anyone read "night drop"? it's about the us airborne(82nd and 101st) mission during the d-day operation. there was 1(yes 1!) sgt that single handedly took out several german occupied buildings. he would run up to the door, kick it in, then machine gun everyone inside. they would always be at the windows, firing away. i forget how many german casualties he was responsible for, but he won the medal of honor for his deeds. i know this is one of those rare events that isn't typical of normal battle, but it shows just what a submachinegun can do in the right hands...