Must you cancel FO fire mission if off target?

The $64 question as far as I'm concerned with CMBB is whether it's necessary to cancel a planned arty strike which has been plotted for an observed area of the map but is initially off target. The manual basically simply says all you need to do is move the target line back over its previously plotted spot to get the barrage to re-adjust but I'm just not seeing this. The barrage is still invariably off target by quite a margin even after re-adjusting the target line.

Can anybody else verify whether it is just a waste of time re-adjusting the target line but instead, you need to cancel the previously plotted fire and start all over again with the inherent delay such an annoyance entails? A word from BFC (unsubtle hint) would be marvellous at this point since it's not exactly clear from the manual what should be done in order to get your arty back on track in the circumstances.

Regards

Jim R.

[ November 27, 2002, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]

from what I found out it is very important the FO can see the area the spotting round falls in(if any is fired)

look at the ammo level to see,ussually it will take 20 or 30 seconds for the barrage to fall,which is often in the next turn if you are lucky.

Check if the fo can see the spot where the spotting round came down.

If he cant see it than retarget.

It seems that are are variables in place with the adjustment option. It may or may not fall where you want it even with numerous 'green line' adjustments.

I cancel and re-target.

Of course, by then I have usually lost the battle due to timing issues that depended on the arty falling when and where it was supposed to, but my little pixelated troops aren't that important to me. smile.gif I just request a ceasefire and get another battle going before real frustration kicks in.

My latest theory (completely unproven and just to make me feel better when errors happen) is that the larger arty is farther back from the front line as well as having the request going through a longer chain of command, and this allows simulated targeting errors to creep in. 81mm mortars are basically "just over the ridge" behind you, but the big stuff can be kilometers away. A small target error given by a real world FO would be miniscule for a short trajectory, but the farther the shells travel, the greater the possible miss distance.

It's like the answer to the great question .. "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?" The World May Never Know.

Originally posted by redwolf:

There are no spotting rounds if you don't have LOS.

If it's the same as in CMBO, some of the larger arty modules (maybe 170mm & up) never use spotting rounds, regardless of LOS.

Folks,

The work-around to the apparent plague of unsolvable off-target arty seems to be to rely on TRPs, prep-barrages, or towed DF guns. I don't know if you can rely on just having a spotter "always" be in LOS when firing a mission- does it still sometimes come in off-target when you do that?

Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz:

I cancel and re-target.

Of course, by then I have usually lost the battle due to timing issues that depended on the arty falling when and where it was supposed to, but my little pixelated troops aren't that important to me. smile.gif I just request a ceasefire and get another battle going before real frustration kicks in.

Your arty won't help you Schultzie. Not against my vodka-dipped flaming Russians! ;) Errr..... Chocolate-dipped flaming vodka screwdrivers.....

Seriously, I have not had and "in-LOS" fire mission go off target yet but when I do, it would be nice to know what the official tactic should be. 1)Cancel fire mission, 2)Adjust fire mission, or 3)Do nothing.

Has BFC given a straight answer?

-Sarge